Second Chances

You had never thought this day would come. Your whole life you had wanted to move out of San Diego and now you were back. It wasn't that this city was bad, it was that you had always longed for something more, somewhere with more opportunities. When you had been accepted to NYU, you had immediately dropped everything and everyone and moved to New York City. You absolutely loved the city but you didn't have many friends and you just lost your job. There just wasn't anything there for you anymore. Although it was sad to say goodbye, you couldn't wait to see your old family and friends. You had missed them so much and it would be good for you to finally get out of the house and focus on yourself for awhile. As you loaded the boxes into your new apartment, you got a text from your best friend, Summer. You guys had been best friends since Kindergarten and remained close throughout your 20 years of friendship.

She said:
"Hey, I'm having a welcome back party for you tomorrow night, it's a surprise party so act surprised 🎉"

You replied:
"I guess I better start practicing my surprised face 😱"

You had missed her and really all of your old friends. It felt as though your life had moved on and theirs had just stayed the same. You felt bad for them, but you were in the same place as them at the moment. So how bad could you really feel, without feeling bad for yourself? But you thought of this whole situation as a second chance. You were going to get a job, reconnect with your friends, spend time with your family, and maybe try to find a nice guy. You were doubtful of the latter though. You hadn't had a serious boyfriend in about 4 years. The last relationship you were in was with Christopher. You two had met in your senior year of high school and had a long distance relationship when you were in New York. It eventually ended mutually. You had talked occasionally but it it was always quick texts with no thought at all. But I guess that's how it should be with your ex? You really didn't know. Since him, you had had short-lived romances and a couple one night stands. You weren't really good at relationships, you weren't the romance type and found everyone not worthy of your time. You continued to unpack and eventually grew tired and went to bed, awaiting what this party had in store for you.