As I parked I spotted Suzanne and the rest of the group near the entrance of the bar called ‘The Cove’. They all seemed to be dressed up, but some more casually than I. Nope, don’t care, this is a night to let go.

“Hi Suzanne,” I spoke as I got over to them. When she saw me her eyes widened slightly. “Am I overdressed?” I asked suddenly worried.

“No you look great,” another woman spoke up grinning at me from next to Suzanne and it was such a friendly face, I felt immediately comfortable with her.

“Sonja this is Brandy from accounting,” Suzanne spoke smugly as she began the introductions. “Tori you know from web design,” I nodded smiling at her, she must have been the one to invite me since we have collaborated before. “And Melanie from client relations,” she worked with Stacy.

They all smiled with greetings. The only one who seemed to dislike my presence was Suzanne. Brandy put her arm in mine.

“Don’t mind Suzanne she is smug tonight because she got turned down this week.”

Suzanne glared at Brandy’s confession who just giggled waving her off. Her wrists jingled with the bracelets she wore and I observed she had on leather pants with stilettos and a shiny blue halter top. Tori wore a simple deep crimson cocktail dress that fitted her a little too tight for my taste and clashed with her blonde hair. Suzanne wore an all-white suit outfit complete with a tie and the shirt under the jacket was so low I thought her bosom was going to pop out and say ‘peek a boo’. Melanie seemed the most casual in jeans and a coral sweater low V neck top.

“Thanks for inviting me Suzanne,” I said as chatter began and we made our way into the bar. Brandy made me smile and feel comfortable despite Suzanne’s displeasure. I had a good guess as to who she might have gotten turned down by. I just didn’t understand why that involved me.

Well either way, tonight I would not worry about it. Smiling as we entered the bar joking around from Brandy’s quick wit I took a look around. The place did have sophistication written all over it. There were many patrons in various spectrums of casual and evening dress so I didn’t feel too much out of place anymore.

Brandy led me and the group to a table taking our seats looking around for a bartender. There was a small dance floor where some people were dancing. I liked the vibe so far and felt even better about being able to loosen up tonight. The bartender caught our calls and came over to take our order. Ordering a cosmopolitan I joined in the conversation with the other girls as we waited.

Soon as the chilled mauve colored drink came I took a sip and smiled to myself closing my eyes feeling content. That hit the spot. The girls were fun and it tuned out everything else that had been brooding on my mind.

A tap on my shoulder caught my attention. Turning around I was surprised to see Kyle Jenkins standing there.

“Hello Ms. Winters, I saw you come in and thought I’d say hi,” that pleasant demeanor of his mixed with my own drink beginning to warm me up, I felt at ease with his presence.

“Hey what are you doing here?” I asked smiling warmly.

“Having a drink with my partner, this is our regular place.”

“Oh blowing off some steam then,” I teased taking another sip of my drink. Thinking about what he said my smile began to fade.

Did he say partner? My face drained of color. That meant…

“Partner…is Evan here with you?” I asked.

“Yes we saw you come in and I was just asking him about how the meeting went yesterday.”