Ch. 8-I Like Long Walks In The Woods

Everyone was mostly doing their own thing when Annie and I returned to camp. Lilia talked with Alec in a hushed tone while reprimanding the twins on the side. Spencer and Gideon were playing cards—blackjack, it looked like. Annie loped off to a relieved Ezra and the two pitched their tent. Madison napped while Riley drew. And Skyler was . . . looking right at me.

I didn't move while he sauntered over. I folded my arms and stared at the grass beneath my feet. He looked at me for a moment, and then turned his body toward the campsite, watching everybody work.

For some reason I thought about what Annie said, about wanting an emotional connection. Of course I didn't. Connections led to pain. And even if I did, why would I want one with Skyler? He had his moments, for sure, but we didn't mix. He was too unpredictable, too free spirited. Too unbound. I didn't so much mind being bound, especially if it was by a few dozen books. Skyler lived not caring what came next. I needed to know. If I didn't know, then I couldn't prepare.

"You okay?" he finally asked.

I nodded. "Sure."

"Really?"

"Yes."

Our eyes met. A billion questions surfaced behind his grey depths, and I wasn't in any mood to answer them. After what happened by the lake, all I wanted to do was curl up in a tent and go the heck to sleep.

"Oh! Perfect! Skyler, Ruby, why don't you two find us some kindle for this fire? We are going straight pilgrim, people!"

For the love of God.

Skyler didn't seem so thrilled at the idea, either, whether because of traipsing through a forest or having to do it with me I knew not. But Lilia shooed us away, moving onto Riley and Madison. It was the middle of summer, so I wasn't sure what the hell she wanted a fire for. There was a mini mart ten minutes down the road and a fire pit in the main lodge. We weren't exactly in the middle of nowhere. But Lilia was kooky, and also in charge, so that was that.

Hopefully Neil learned how to start a fire in his three weeks as a boy scout.

"Christ," Skyler muttered, shoving the toe of his boot into the dirt. "Whatever. Let's go."

The boy was an enigma. How could you know so much about a person and still feel as if you knew nothing at all?

We wandered into the thick cover of trees. I didn't have the first clue what I was supposed to be doing, but Skyler was a constant surprise. He found several thick twigs and branches and bundled them in his arms. I toddled along unhelpfully.

"You know, you could at least pretend to be useful."

These days, I wasn't sure whether to be offended by his sharp tongue or to ignore it. Holly used to get completely barbaric on her period. I'm talking full personality fluctuations. Skyler acted a lot like her on those strenuous occasions. "Sorry."

"Haven't you ever been camping?"

"We should go camping sometime, Ruby! It would be so much fun!" I swallowed hard and dug my nails into my palm. "No."

"Seriously? Not even once?"

"No."

"Huh." He ducked under a tree branch and I followed suit. "I used to go with my dad all the time."