Chapter Four ϟ The House That Used To Be A Home

Chapter Four ϟ The House That Used To Be A Home

Brennan  glanced at another piece of the crime scene as Felicity walked up to her. "I don't think we properly got to say hi to each other." The young blonde grinned before enveloping Brennan into a hug.

"It's good to see you too Felicity," Brennan muttered squeezing her friend a smidge tighter before they let go of their embrace.

The blonde stared at Brennan noticing a distinct cold twinge to her hug and it wasn't towards her, it was just as if Brennan's aura was a pulsing ice cube that had lightly grazed her. "How are you?"

A tight-lipped smile graced Bren's features. "I'm fine, been doing very well. How are you?"

Felicity tried not to take to heart the way her friend was acting. She knew that Brennan was doing this to everyone but it just felt wrong and the whole conversation felt forced.

"I'm doing well also. So, are you back for awhile? Are you staying for the holidays? We all miss you and would like if you stuck around, even Oliver." Felicity mentioned.

Brennan had to hold the urge to roll her eyes before she answered Felicity. Turning away from her friend, she took a quick side glance at Oliver, who was already staring at her. Raising an eyebrow to the scruffy man made his eyes narrow, but regardless, he said nothing and looked back at Officer Lance.

"I don't think that we will be here for very long Felicity. I'll try to make it back for the holidays, however." Brennan gave a small smile in an attempt to cover up her lies, but Felicity already knew the moment Brennan drove back to Central City, she wouldn't be coming back anytime soon.

"That sounds great Bren," Felicity stated with a disappointed tone. She rotated around from the brunette girl about to walk away, but she stopped in her tracks and turned back. Her hand shot out and laid against Brennan's arm.

As soon as Brennan felt the contact, she faced the owner. Felicity stared at her with those big, hopeful blue eyes that held pity and sadness that Brennan definitely didn't want to see. "I really do hope to see you at the holidays. It will be good for everybody." Including you. She didn't say it, but Brennan could almost hear it in her head as if Felicity had telepathically sent it to her.

Felicity walked over towards Oliver without giving Brennan a chance to respond.

Brennan shook off the guilt and sadness that was building in the pit of her stomach at Felicity's words. The annual Queen Christmas party wasn't a thing that Brennan planned on attending anytime soon.

"You okay?" Brennan's focus was redirected to the brown haired forensic scientist that was crouched on his knees taking photos of the crime scene. He glanced at her to make sure that she heard him.

Brennan looked away before nodding, "Yeah, I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be?"

"I don't know." He shrugged standing up and shouldering the camera strap. "Maybe because you've been staring down that evidence bag for the last five minutes like it stole the last cookie from the jar." He points to the clear baggie that is in her hands. She hadn't noticed that she had been gripping the bag so tightly or that she was staring at it, but Barry did. 

She opened her mouth to give a response, but the reply was stuck in her throat as she spotted Officer Lance coming towards her. Quickly, she shoved the bag at Barry, who was very confused.