Chapter Two - The Forest

The sun was hovering just above the horizon when Sesshomaru and Inuyasha crept out of the house. Soon it would go down, but Sesshomaru thought they still had a good twenty minutes left. As the two entered the forest, Sesshomaru rested one hand on the dagger in his belt.

Inuyasha held his other hand tightly. "Sesshi," he asked, "are you sure we'll be alright?"

"Don't worry, Yasha," Sesshomaru soothed. "We'll be fine. We only have to stay out here for a few hours, then we can head back home."

They headed deeper into the forest, which was rapidly becoming darker as the sun dropped lower in the sky. Sesshomaru was careful to mark their trail with gouges kicked into the dirt, so they could find their way back. Getting lost would not be a good move.

*

The two brothers had been walking for just over a quarter of an hour when Inuyasha pulled on Sesshomaru's sleeve.

"Sesshi?"

"Yes?"

"Sesshi, it's the new moon. I'm transforming."

Sesshomaru spun round. It was true. Inuyasha's hair was darkening from its usual silver to midnight black, his claws were shortening and his dog-like ears had vanished altogether. "Damn, damn, damn, damn!" muttered Sesshomaru. "I'm sorry, Yasha, I completely forgot. We'd better turn back."

"No!" Inuyasha said. "We can't go back now; Daddy will be furious! We have to stay out here."

"No. Remember, Yasha, you're all human tonight. If something happens . . ."

"But you're here, Sesshi. Nothing's gonna happen if you're here."

This complete confidence heartened Sesshomaru. "Oh, alright. But we're not walking any further. We'll stay right here for a couple of hours, then we'll head back.

"Okay. Sesshi, are you sure Daddy will have calmed down when we get back?"

"Yes, I'm sure." He hoped.