X /Lessons to be Learned/

Mary walked to the window of the private royal drawing room though there was really no need. She knew what caused the ruckus that disturbed her reading. The vampires were sparring again. And judging by the volume of the onlookers Mary was sure Ryne was among the fighters.

Pulling the curtain to the side Mary watched the fight from her fifth floor vantage point. Even she had to admit, it was impressive. Terrifying. She shook her head, little Ryne, terrifying. She also noticed the numerous lycans covertly watching the vampires at play, shaking their heads and muttering darkly. Suddenly intensely glad that the war had ended when and how it had. She sighed deeply, letting the curtain fall, before turning as the door opened.

"Elah," She said surprised, looking at her youngest son, her warrior son, as he glided toward her. She smiled at him, also intensely glad that the war was over. How many nights had she lain awake, racked with worry for his life? Too many. She wasn't sorry to see those days gone.

His lips twitched in response to her smile. He seemed worn down, weary, and it was bone deep. It must be that two months later, the vampires were still here in force. And theirs was a violent presence that couldn't be ignored.

"We need to talk."

* ~ * ~ *

Ryne flounced into her and Elah's shared quarters and for the first time in her life blushed furiously. "Elah Please!" She cried appalled, "Put it away, put it away!"

He chuckled as he slipped on a pair of pants. Ryne turned back and peeked out between her fingers, still blushing furiously. Seeing the pants she dropped her hands. Noticing the color of her cheeks, Elah frowned in thought before grinning mischievously.

"What?" Ryne snapped darkly, not trusting his expression at all.

"Ryne," he said slowly. "Are you a virgin?"

Ryne sputtered and swore, looking oddly like a sputtering cat. Elah burst into laughter as color returned full force in Ryne's face. Mortified she picked up a pillow and chucked it at him. He deflected it easily, still laughing.

"What the hell is so funny?"

"I just... didn't expect it." He said, calming. Noticing that fury steadily replacing embarrassment he hurried to explain. "You're beautiful and have been the favorite candidate for the throne since you were twelve! I can't for a moment believe that men haven't chasing you like fleas after rabid dogs."

"I was a late bloomer," She muttered embarrassed. "and if you haven't noticed I've been a little busy the past six years!"

At mention of the war he sobered completely. "And now? What's stopping you from enjoying Leon's bed?"

"Well, beside the fact that I still think of him as FAMILY, they all think I'm engaged to you."

Elah shook his head. "Wouldn't stop some."

"Despite popular belief I do not enjoy war."

The intensity of Elah's gaze suddenly tripled, then his smirk returned. "Virgin," he scoffed.

She started to respond but he interrupted. "So, what did you want?"

"What?" She said, thrown off stride by the sudden change in topic.

"You're always busy this time of time but you came in here..."

"Oh, right. The entourage will be leaving soon."

"Please define soon."

Ryne shrugged. "About a week."

"Hmm, lovely." Elah said sarcastically.