Chapter 1

"Mom, can you at least hurry up? I'll be late for my ball practice" called my little boy from the living room.

"I'm coming Troy, be patient" I yelled towards him. "Just like his father" I mumbled to myself while shaking my head.

"I'm Janelle Hughes. A twenty-one year old single parent in school studying to become a social worker; temporarily working at Walmart, and boy it's not easy to- "

"MOM!" Troy shouted impatiently.

"I'm coming Troy" I raised my voice once more, coming out from my room.

"I'm ready now, let's go."

"Finally. Just hold up a sec, I need to put on my shoes."

"So you weren't completely ready and you were rushing me."

"I am ready, I just have to put on my shoes" I kissed my teeth at his sense of logic. He grabbed his basketball that happened to be beside the front door and walked outside as I followed behind him, locking the door.

We waited for the elevator which soon arrived.. it wasn't long before we were heading down to the basement of the building to retrieve the car.

As we drove the car out from the basement, something struck me.

"Troy did I make you lunch?" I asked hoping the feeling I was getting was wrong.

"No, but-"

"We have to go back upstairs Troy"

"Noo! It's too late now!" He whines. "Troy! You have to take something to practice" I state about to park a couple blocks away from the building.

"But there's no food at home anyways" he complained, causing me to sigh deeply as I continued to drive. I was hoping to approach a nearby McDonald's in sight.

I spotted one at the closest plaza by Troy's gym, I parked the car in front of the eatery while Troy began cheesing.

"Yay! McDonald's!" he joyfully exclaimed. I chuckled, shaking my head. We walked in to a not-so-busy McDonald's, the lines were quite small so that was good.

Once it was our turn to order, I looked down at Troy.

"What do you want?" I asked.

"Happy meal" he answered.

"Troy you're six years old, a happy meal? Really?"

"Yes."

"Okay, fine. Happy meal it is" I told the cashier looking up to her beautiful dark skinned complexion. She had her hair in a long, straight ponytail.. throwing on a nice smile with her pearly white teeth.

"What kind?" She asks.

"The hamburger" she types the order in. "Your total comes out to $5.10." She gave me my receipt and I pulled out my wallet, just about to pay for the food when a man came up beside me and offers to pay for it.

I awkwardly looked up beside me and it was Craig, I managed to give him a fake grin and mumbled "Thank you." I grabbed a hold of Troy's hand to maneuver to the area where you waited to receive your food.

Craig approached us shortly after. "You're welcome" he said slickly. I mentally rolled my eyes.

"Hi" he bends down to Troy's level.

"Hi. Thank you for paying for my food."

"That's no problem, what's your name?" He smiles.

"Troy. Troy Hughes" he replies smiling, Craig smiles at Troy and looks up at me for a second with a straight face, before turning his attention back to Troy.