Chapter 49: Prisoners

It looked like I would be playing messenger from now on, as Roman had curtly refused to receive any other rebel, and I was the only one with a foot in both camps, so to speak. Or rather to speak literally, at the moment. I stood straddling the line in the street where the pattern of cobblestones changed, signaling the divide between "Old" and "New" Maenar. After running back and forth between the Assassin's Court and the Fire Bird Inn for two days, I'd gotten them to agree to meet here at midnight.

But so far the rebels were the only ones here.

"I swear to God, Laerhart, if this is a trap--"

I shrugged off Ysmay's anxiety like an annoying bug. "Roman wants this, trust me. He may be dramatic about it, but he'll be here."

She shot me a look. "Don't be so cocky, just because he'll only talk to you."

I didn't answer. Maybe I enjoyed being the only link between the rebels and the assassins, but it wasn't for my own ego.

Evvie stood next to me, eyes on the end of the street. Quieter than Ysmay, she asked, "Are you sure about this?"

I couldn't help but smile. "Don't worry. I have a good feeling about this night."

She raised an eyebrow. "Bold words. You better hope the Thief is watching over you."

"I am the Thief, you know that."

"I meant the constellation. You'll need all the luck the stars can spare, making comments like that."

I glanced up. I didn't see the Thief shining between the clouds, but I trusted more in the thief I was than the one up there anyway.

"He's here," she said softly.

I quickly looked back down. Several figures were emerging from the gloom at the end of the street with silent footsteps. One, smaller-- Roman. Two larger, behind him-- his guards. And--

"They've got an extra person," Ysmay said sharply. Cyrus, the other rebel leader accompanying us, looked up to the rooftops where our backup was stationed-- Kay, Wes, and some other female rebel.

"Should I signal?" He asked, his nervousness apparent.

"No," I said. "Leave this to me."

At that moment, they arrived close enough to our circle of lantern light that all of their identities were clear.

"Liz!" Evvie screamed suddenly, but I grabbed her wrist in an iron grip before she could run.

And it was Liz. Her cheek was scraped, her clothes dirty, and her hands tied behind her back, but she was unharmed. Her eyes brightened the moment she saw Evvie, and I nearly let her go, just for that look. But throwing herself into Roman's entourage would not have been a smart idea.

"Wait," I whispered to her.

The atmosphere was tense as Roman surveyed our group as though finding us underwhelming. "Well. We're here and we've met your demand. Are you ready to negotiate?"

"Our demand?" Ysmay hissed to me.

I blinked with exaggerated confusion. "I-- wait, did you not tell me you wouldn't meet with him unless we got Liz back? I could have sworn we had that conversation."

She stared at me.

"Dammit," I sighed. "I guess I haven't quite got this messenger thing down yet. Well, live and learn. You should tell him to send her over now."

On my other side, Evvie looked away from Liz for a single moment in disbelief, and I smirked.

People should really stop underestimating what I'll do for my friends.