Chapter One

Grace had said goodbye to her parents the day she was born. And even though they had given her up because she was an unwanted child, undesirable, and misfortuned for her eyes that appeared to be black with no color to the irises, she could not help but also question if she was unlucky.

It seemed that after she was born, was when everything had gone wrong. She was immediately put into foster care where she was not adopted because of her black eyes. Everyone called her the devil's child but she knew that she had not come from a demon, despite looking like one sometimes.

And by the time she had moved to her ninth foster home, was the time she had turned eighteen. And by having eighteen years she was given a new future that she could make for herself, she was independent, and she was loving every second of it as she sped forty miles over the thirty-five speed limit.

Grace did not know where she was. Given only a couple hundred dollars she only knew that she wanted to get as far away from her small town of cope creek where the people mistreated her and traded her off from one foster home to the next.

All Grace knew was that she was speeding down a hilly road through the woods, her car almost flying off the curve a few times. She was somewhere in the mountains of the blue ridge parkway, and she had no intent on stopping.

The sun was beginning to set in the horizon, and the mountains were becoming more tinted with blue as the sun began to set lower and lower into the sky. They were so blue that she had not realized the blue lights behind her, and only after finally looking in the rearview mirror did she finally come to a halt on the side of the road.

The officer had taken his sweet time observing her red Prius. He was contemplating something and that much was certain for Grace. Then he opened the door and she could see a shiny black shoe hit the ground, followed by black pants on a pair of very long legs.

She gulped, but not out of fear and instead for an unknown reason, or more so feeling. She felt excited, strong willed, and merciless for her next action.

When the officer bent down to her level, to peer into her window with a scrutinizing gaze, that was when Grace finally blurted out something that she would surprisingly not regret.

"Why the fuck did you pull me over, officer?"

But as soon as those words had left her mouth, she did actually end up regretting them. With a sharp intake of breath, she met the same fate that she had acquired all of her life. She saw a reflection of herself, of the black eyes she had been born with all of her life. And only after several minutes of believing that she was hallucinating, she realized that she was not. The officer with black eyes was speaking to her.

"What did you just say to me?"

Grace was taken so aback that she had to be forced back into the conversation by pinching herself. The officer looked amused but she began to focus again, remembering that she had been pulled over by a state official.

"Why the fuck," she said slowly, pronouncing each word carefully, "did you pull me over? Could you not see that I had a destination in mind?"

"Oh," this time it was the black eyed man with dark hair that lingered right above his ears, and a broad jawline that had seemed to be taken aback. His tone was laced with sarcasm, "Was it an inconvenience for me to pull you over?"

She nodded, snapping her fingers and grinning as she said, "Now you are catching on. If you could please excuse me, but I must really get going. I do not have time to stick around for your sick games. And the next time you think it's funny to wear contacts that make your eyes fully black, please, do yourself the favor and don't. I do not find it amusing nor does it offend me in anyway."

But the handsome police officer did not seem to be amused either. He held his hand out and said, "License and registration, please."

She laughed at him, "Oh, please you bastard, just stop with the games."

"I am not playing a game," he said calmly, "Now hand it over."

That was when she realized he was being serious. Grace was confused in thinking that this man was playing tricks on her as if trying to ruin her first day of freedom. She was so certain that her last foster parent had given him the privilege to taunt her, as they had not liked her because of her eyes.

But when she saw that was not the case, only then did she begin to panic, "Why are your eyes so black?"

This seemed to amuse him, "The same reason yours are. Now let us get to the point. Why are you on this land when it is apparent that you are not from this territory?"

"Territory?"

The man glared at her, "Stop playing games and cut to the chaste. Why are you on my pack's territory? Where are you from? I do not recognize your scent."

"Scent?" She asked dumbfounded again.

And then just like that, he opened the door and pulled her out of the precious confines of her car. She began to yell profanities at him, but he only pulled her into his chest with her face pressed firmly against him. He was holding both of her arms back as he began to put handcuffs on her. Then astonishingly, Grace could feel him relax as he got a whiff of her hair. He loosened his hold on her for a bare instant, and she looked up to see his eyes turn white, only to fade back to black again.

The coincidence was that she could feel something in her veins too that made her relax. Something tingled up and down her limbs, making a shiver rake her spine as she realized that her eyes were shifting and fading too.

"What the hell was that?" She spat at him accusingly.

But with no answer, the man shoved her into the back of his police car. He got into his driver's side, locking all of the doors and then speeding off. The last thing she could see was the image of her precious red Prius on the side of the road before she turned back to the crazed police officer whose eyes were all too similar to her own.

And she finally understood why no one wanted her: because the black eyes on that man really did creep her out.