chapter four

Minor trigger warning; it doesn't go into detail, but mentions of something sad is featured in this chapter.

I looked up to see Brandon not in his seat. Maybe he was running late? I sighed, as I sat down. A few kids, starting entering the classroom and talked amongst themselves.

The teacher walked in and she called roll call. "Chailin?"

"Here." I mumbled. I wish I wasn't.

"Br--Who are you?" She asked, looking up at a boy, who had ran into the room.

"I'm Brandon's brother. He got hospitalized last night, he won't be back for about two months." The boy said.

I was trying not to freak out. Why was he hospitalized? What had happened? Two months. Is he okay?

"Thank you for informing me." The teacher went back to looking at her computer.

Brandon's brother left the room. I needed to talk to him and ask him questions. I need answers. I raised my hand. The teacher raised her eyebrow. "Yes, Chailin?"

"May I be excused, to go to the restroom?" I asked, politely.

"Yes." She nodded her head.

I nodded my head ran after the boy. I finally saw him, about to leave. "Hey! Wait! Wait, please!" I begged. He turned around, confused. "You're Brandon's brother, Hunter?" I asked, remembering his name, from one of Brandon's paper airplanes.

"You're Chailin?" He asked. How'd he know my name? "Brandon described you to me. He wanted me to give you these." He handed me a pile of paper airplanes.

I smiled, then frowned at the thought of Brandon not being okay. "What happened to Brandon? Is he okay?"

"He didn't tell you -- well write it to you?" Hunter asked. I shook my head. "He has Asphasia. (read a/n at the bottom to understand) Last night, he had a stroke."

"W-what?" I asked, tears beginning to form in my eyes.

"When we were younger, something was off with Brandon. He would faint and have strokes, as we grew up. We took him to a doctor and he had it in the right side of the brain. He can't speak. It hurts too much for him to say one little word." Hunter looked down.

"I'm sorry." I managed to say.

"It's not your fault." He shook his head. "He has something else, but I don't really like sharing it. It's personal."

"Could he die from it?" I asked him. I regretted it, after I saw the pain and hurt expression on his face.

"He's already dying from it." Hunter said. "Read the airplanes. I have to go, bye!" He rushed out of the school and I stuck the paper airplanes in my pocket.

Why didn't Brandon tell me -- or give me a paper airplane about this? He was dying. I can't bare the fact that someone I care about is dying. I feel so hopeless.

-----------

For those of you who don't know, Aphasia is a communication disorder that results from damage to the parts of the brain. Individuals who experience damage to the right side of the brain, may have additional difficulties beyond speech and language issues. Aphasia may causes difficulties in speaking, listening, reading, & writing, but does not affect intelligence.

Articles confused me on if you can die from it, or not, but let's just say you can die from it.

- jennifer