CHAPTER SEVEN: BREAKING THE ICE

Start from the beginning

“What do you mean by that?” asked Jennifer looking at her with a puzzled expression.

“I mean you and Aidan are fine, right? There’s still hope of you two getting back together. I mean Aidan still loves you and…”

Jennifer drew back in shock. “Kate! It’s been six years. Don’t be silly. When you saw us holding hands, it was just a friendly and comforting gesture. Nothing romantic.”

Oh damn! That was not what she had planned. How could Jennifer sound so detached and casual about Aidan. And besides three days earlier, she had promised that she would give her relationship with Aidan a try. “But you promised that you would give it a chance,” Kate reminded her and Jennifer grimaced.

“I know but there was so much that happened on that day. I just agreed to calm everyone down. I’m not really interested into continuing my relationship with Aidan. It’s out of question.”

Too numb with shock and disappointment to respond, Kate stared at Jennifer for a while not knowing what to say, Damn! Aidan must be looking forward to getting back to where they had left their romance.

“And besides, you give too much importance to love and romance. Like always. What Aidan and I shared had been wonderful but it was not that intense Kate. I mean we dated for three months and we didn’t even slept with each other for Heaven’s sake.”

“What?!! You’ve got to be kidding me, right?” Kate was shocked beyond words. She had never known that fact because it was too private to share even among best friends. But she would never have guessed that Aidan and Jennifer had never taken the big leap.

Jennifer smiled wistfully at her. “No, I wish. But you know Aidan. He’s not one to invest in a relationship just like that. Even if he knew me for more than six months back then. And I’m going to tell you something weird. For the past three days I have talked to Aidan, I have realized one thing. I think he’s more hurt by Ryce’s attitude than mine.”

It was so typical of Aidan. He was a relationship freak; it had always been like that. Kate felt like she should talk to him first to tell him about the way Jennifer felt.  And she hoped that it was not going to be a problem considering the way he had behaved when he had arrived at the wedding.

“But Jen. I think Aidan still harbors some feelings for you and I fear that he might not digest another rejection. You should have seen the way he was when he came here. All cynical and ready to knock Ryce down.”

“I know. I witnessed that damned fight, remember? But I’ve talked to Ryce. He’s not going to fight Aidan now; he has promised me.”

Thank goodness. At least her first wish was getting fulfilled; become friends again with her ex best friends. Everybody was as good as before except for Aidan and Ryce. Those two pig-headed had stopped fighting but they were not even talking to each other yet. It was going to be tougher to break the ice between them and who better than Jennifer to help her for the task?

“Thank you! But I so wish Ryce and Aidan would kiss and make up,” she said teasingly and Jennifer giggled.

“Oh, I know what you mean. They are still acting like two spoilt overgrown boys with their egos keeping coming in between their romance.”

For the first time, Kate smiled genuinely at her friend glad that they were on the same wavelength. And she felt hope flood in her heart.

“Exactly! I think we need to plan something to make them patch up,” she said winking at her new found friend. “Why don’t we go clubbing like good old days?”

“Great idea,” Jennifer jumped enthusiastically. “You handle Aidan; I’m going to take care of Ryce.”

“Deal,” said Kate getting up wedding ring forgotten as she went in search of Aidan.