CHAPTER SEVEN: BREAKING THE ICE

Start from the beginning

“I’m glad to hear that,” Jennifer told her in a small voice. “I really thought you were in love with Aidan at that time.” Kate had to suck in a breath at her confession and she had make a herculean effort to keep a normal face. There it was!

“Love? Aidan?” she repeated like a parrot knowing her voice was sounding shriek as she was unable to mask the emotion of shock from it.

Jennifer let out a small laugh. “Ridiculous, I know. I never understood your relationship with the guys.  Especially Aidan. I used to be so insecure around you. But even Ryce feels the same way about you as Aidan did. And I have finally realized that my insecurities were so not well-founded.”

Kate plastered a smile on her face not knowing what to say. Jennifer was right in her thinking. As far as she was concerned, both Ryce and Aidan considered her as a dear friend.

“I mean of course you don’t love him otherwise you would never have married someone else. Especially you Kate. You were such a firm believer of love and romance,” Jennifer went on oblivious to the turmoil going on inside Kate’s head.

It was not anyone’s fault if she had fallen in love with Aidan against her own will. And she would hide it for as long as she lived if it was the only thing she was going to do. It was only her love for Aidan which had spoiled her wonderful relationship with her friends . And she was going to kill it for the sake of her friends.

“Oh, Jennifer. I never knew you felt that way about me. Of course, we love each other so much. But we had the same feelings for you as well. You were part of our friendship too.”

“I know but the guys always preferred you to me. It was always more about you than me. And I always felt left out sometimes,” she confessed and squeezed her hand as if silently asking her for forgiveness as well. “That was why I reacted so drastically when I caught you and Aidan together. It was as if I had been expecting something like that to strike.”

“Oh, no, no! Don’t blame yourself, please! It was all my mistake. I should never have…,” she failed to form the words as tears filled her eyes. She could never say it. Even now! She could not saying that she should never have kissed him. Because given the opportunity, she would still have done it.

“Oh, Kate! Please don’t cry. I’m glad you never set out to betray me on purpose. I realize now that you would never have done something like that without the effect of alcohol.”

Without warning, Jennifer hugged her and Kate felt relief flood in her heart as she felt it lighter; it had not been easy for it to carry six years of guilt and remorse. And now that her friend had finally the courage to let go of the past, it was going to be easier for her to forgive herself.

“I’m glad we’ve cleared the air, Kate. I no longer feel any bad feelings towards you. You are a wonderful person and I’m glad that you have finally found your soul mate,” Jennifer delivered sounding sincere and Kate wished she could smile back at her with the same feelings.

But the last sentence sent her in her sad mode again and she was starting to tire of her self-pity state. So she smiled back with effort determined not to let her worries and sorrow visible to anyone. However, she must have done a pathetic job out of it because Jennifer immediately picked up her discomfiture.

“What’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” she replied quickly hiding behind her mass of hair. “So how is everything going on with you and Aidan?” she asked proud that her voice sounded casual. It should. She no longer loved Aidan and it should not affect her anymore.

“Oh, you know. Just so-so. We no longer hate each other and that’s a first.”

Kate smiled at her friend. It was a good sign alright but far from enough to fall in love. “You should give it time. Everything will fall back into place,” she said confidently.