Chapter Thirty-one

Start from the beginning

Emma took a deep breath, grabbed his calloused hand and laid it over her stomach. "We're going to have a baby, Liam."

Liam's eyes were wide as his gaze dropped to her stomach. His fingers spread wide across her belly and he swallowed hard. "A baby? Are you sure?"

Emma bit her lip. She couldn't tell, based on his reaction, if he was happy or not... what if he was disappointed or upset? She had been sure he wanted children.... They had added on to the cabin and they certain hadn't done anything to prevent getting with child.

When Liam's eyes met hers, all of her doubts vanished. She was shocked beyond speechless when she realized that tears lined his eyes. A bright smile nearly split his face in half before he leapt from the chair and pulled her into a tight hug.

"I love you, Emma."

"I love you too," Emma whispered, loving that overwhelming feeling of protection and warmth that she always felt when she was in Liam's arms this way.

"I don't tell you enough but you mean everything to me. My life was empty before you. You've given me happiness, a real home and a purpose. Now you're giving me a child..... You're the best thing that's ever happened to me, Emma McIntyre."

Emma knew that if she spoke, she would break down in tears of happiness. She also knew that there was nothing she could say that would be any more beautiful than the words Liam had just said.

So instead of speaking, Emma simply held her husband tighter. After several moments, Liam pulled away just enough to lift Emma's chin.

He pressed his lips to hers and Emma lost herself. The kiss was long and tender and thoroughly intoxicating.

She was so caught up in the movement of his lips against hers that she didn't realize Liam had been moving them toward the bedroom until she was falling down upon the bed with Liam falling along with her.

The dinner she'd spent so long preparing was forgotten as Liam brought her body to life and expertly guided her to the peak again and again.

Emma's body was humming with contentment as they lay spent in each other's arms upon their bed.

"We need to take you into town tomorrow so you can talk to the doc and make sure everything looks good for you and our boy."

Emma frowned. "Our daughter, you mean, and I've already been to the doc."

Liam's brow creased. "You have?"

Emma bit her lip. "Yes...."

"When? How long have you known?"

"About a week." She bit her lip. "I saw the doc the day that I saw my father in town."

Liam's body tensed against her. His fingers stilled their tracing on her arm. "Does your father know?"

"No..." Emma snuggled closer to him, wanting to ease his tension. "No one knows other than you and the doc.... And Ben might have figured it out but I'm not certain and he didn't say. I was going to tell you that day but you were so angry about my father and I didn't want this news to be tainted."

Liam sighed and his lips brushed against her hair. "We're not going to let your father ruin anything we're building together, love. I won't let him."

A comfortable, content silence fell over the bedroom. Liam's steady heartbeat beneath her ear gave Emma a wonderful sense of peace.

Neither was in any rush to leave their bed until the rumbling of an empty stomach filled the silence. Liam chuckled as he smoothed Emma's hair from her red face. "Are you hungry, Emma?"

She bit her lip. "A little."

Liam sat up. "Let's go get you fed then. Can't be letting my little man in there go hungry."

***

As silly as it sounded, Liam felt as if he were floating on a cloud. A child.... Hell, he was going to be a pa!

Never in his life had Liam even given much thought at all to having children. He'd never thought he'd find a woman he could tolerate well enough to marry much less have children with!

But Emma had changed all that. She had come into his life, made him realize that she had been what he'd always needed and given him a reason to be a better man.

Liam went to the barn that evening after eating supper. He was going to feed the animals but realized his father had beaten him to it. "Hey there, son," Patrick greeted as Liam stepped inside.

"Thanks for doing the feeding."

Patrick chuckled. "When the sun started setting and you hadn't done it, I assumed you and the missus had gotten busy."

Liam felt his ears get hot but said nothing. He wasn't one to kiss and tell. "I have something I needed—or I guess I should say wanted—to tell you..."

Patrick tossed some hay into Honey's stall and wiped his hands on his pants before turning to face his son. "Is something wrong?"

Liam cleared his throat. "No. It's good news." Liam wasn't sure why it felt so awkward to share this with this father. Maybe it was because Patrick had never been much of a father when Liam had been growing up and now it was Liam who was going to be a father.... He was going to make sure he was a better one.

"Well hell, son, what is it? Don't keep an old man in suspense."

Liam nodded. "There's gonna be a baby. Emma's carrying our child."

Liam wasn't sure what response he'd been expecting. He hadn't much thought past simply getting the words out to tell his father the news.

Patrick's wrinkled face split with a happy smile. His eyes lit up and laughter filled the barn. "That's wonderful new!" he exclaimed. "I'm gonna be a grandpappy!"

Liam nodded, rubbing at his neck. "Yeah, you are."

Patrick seemed to notice the trepidation in Liam's tone—even if Liam hadn't meant for it to be there. He stopped laughing and his face turned serious. "I know I wasn't a good father, Liam. I know I let you down time and time again and I wasn't around... but I'm going to be good to this youngin. Damn good. He or she is gonna know that their grandpappy loves them—just the way I should have made sure my son knew."

Patrick's eyes were red and wet when he finished speaking and Liam couldn't seem to breathe much less speak around the lump in his own throat.

So he didn't. He merely nodded his head, gripped his father's thin shoulder a moment and then turned and left the barn without a single word.