Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

Emma had not been able to eat all day. Her nerves simply would not let her. She would be seeing Liam tonight and Emma would be going to her first dance.

Emma had no idea how to dance... would she embarrass Liam? And surely being around so many people would be intimidating. If not for knowing Liam would be at her side, Emma would be far too frightened.

Emma only wished she had something more beautiful to wear other than her plain gingham dress....

The beautiful green dress had disappeared from the shop window days ago. Emma knew whatever women wore that dress would be the most beautiful woman there.

"Emma!" Ms. Anita's voice rang out from the sitting room.

Emma bounded down the stairs and found Anita standing with a brown paper parcel in her arms. "What is that?" Emma asked.

It was clear that Anita was feigning ignorance as she batted her lashes. "I have no idea. It's not mine so I haven't opened it."

"Who's is it? Do you need me to deliver it for you?"

Anita shook her head. "I'll deliver it." She held the package out to Emma. "And it's delivered."

Emma frowned as she tentatively took the package into her hands. "It's for me?" she whispered. "But from who.....?"

Anita's eyes twinkled. "Liam."

Emma couldn't breathe and tears filled her eyes. Liam had gotten her a gift? But he'd already done so much for her... No one had ever given her gifts or time or tenderness the way Liam did.

"There's a note attached," Anita informed her eagerly, clearly just as excited and curious as Emma was.

Wasting no more time Emma pulled the envelope from the package and tore it open. Frustration filled her. While she could make out several words and might have been able to eventually sound out the rest, her lack of reading ability kept her from reading the note as quickly as she wanted to.

With a sigh, Emma gave the letter to Anita. Anita nodded and cleared her throat.

My Dearest Emma

I'm no better at writing letters than I am at saying words. And I'm not any good at reading between the lines either but I was listening close the other day. You could wear those worn, tattered clothes I found you in and I would still be taking the most beautiful woman in the world to the dance. But I want you to feel special.

I hope you like your gift.

Yours

Liam

"Oh, my nephew is such a sweet man!" Anita gushed.

Emma swiped a tear form her eye before grabbing up the package and tearing away the paper. When her eyes fell on that green silk, Emma's tears fell harder and the fabric blurred.

Liam had gotten her the dress she had admired since she had arrived in town. But more than that..... He'd ensure that she would have the confidence to step into that dance without feeling like the poor mountain hick she'd been her entire life.