Chapter 2

I woke to the sound of my own snore. I gradually opened my eyes. Then, I began to look out the window again. My dad drove us past a series of  small lots and winding roads. He pulled into a long drive, and we were greeted with an iron gate. It opened automatically, sensing our presence.  Slowly, we inched past. Finally the car stopped, and my dad shifted  the gears to PARK.

   I hopped out of the car, and slammed the door. Then, something caught my eye. A big yard at the back of the house. Maybe this won't be so bad...I guess. It'll just take a lot of work to turn THAT dump back to a luscious green again. I squinted. Then I saw it, more clearly this time. What looked like carved stone seemed to be covering most of the backyard. Apparently my dump of a backyard turns out to be the burial site for all the dead guys! Yeah, well, APPARENTLY my backyard turns out to be a GRAVEYARD!  

                                                                     *

   THUNK! THUNK! THUNK! My dad pounded on the door with the metal knocker. Typical, I thought. Most mansions seem to have these. You know, the ones in the MOVIES. My dad bent over and spoke in a whisper. "This is SO neat! I'm so excited! And Daphne, look! Look at that swamp over there!" As you can tell, my dad is NOT the kind of person YOU want to be hanging out with your whole life.

   The door was brought to life, and opened for us. Man, I have GOT to get used to all these automatic doors.

   My dad broke the silence and spoke. "Ok Daphne, you can choose any room upstairs as your bedroom, and then I'll pick. After you," my dad gestured towards the stairs. I turned to look at my dad. "Thanks," was the only word I could muster. I quickly ran up the stairs with my luggage trailing behind me.