003

Concentrating in class became a challenge for Calixta because she couldn't stop thinking of the video she found on Ed's Instagram of her ex-boyfriend praising him for a good goal. It wasn't like she was completely zoned out and distracted though. Calixta still wrote the necessary notes down and reviewed her syllabus, yet her mind was elsewhere at the same time. She was jotting down the date in which her philosophy assignment would be due when her phone vibrated in her bag. Normally, her phone was on silent but lately she's had her phone on vibrate in case Khaly or Ed had an update on her unidentified ex.

She pulled her phone out and noticed that Khaly was attempting to FaceTime. Knowing that the last minutes of class were vital due to the fact this was when her professor took questions on the lecture or future assignments and if he's changed any due dates, Calixta declined the call and put her phone back in place.

When the class was over and Calixta packed up, she left the class silently and unlocked her phone; her passcode was still unknown. Once she was outside, she plugged her headphones in then pulled up Khaly's messages and from there FaceTimed her.

"Hey bitch, finally." Khaly greeted once they connected (which took two seconds because of how fast Khaly clicked accept.)

Calixta smiled and readjusted her bag. "What's up? Why did you try calling me during philosophy?"

A mischievous smile formed on Khaly's face. "So I totally went all 'Criminal Minds' on this whole ex boyfriend shit because even though you said you were unbothered, I was pretty shook. Like no one just disappears like that and you're not crazy because if you were then so is everyone. So I was doing some research. I stalked all of your social media – I read through all 9,000 tweets, which were all pretty dumb by the way, I went down to last year in your Facebook and I was balls deep in Instagram likes. I've never lurked so hard."

A laugh passed through Calixta's lips at her best friend's obvious distress over the situation. "That's a lie. You lurked so hard on your ex's ex girlfriend. You made an entire fake account to follow her on."

"...That's not the point!"

"Okay, well did you find anything then, Garcia?" Calixta teased.

Khaly scoffed. "You may think calling me Garcia is an insult but she's actually the reason the show exists because without her, they'd all be shit outta luck. Anyways, I dug up your tweets and found some about him. You never really used his name in them, normally calling him 'my baby' or other cheesy shit like that, which is gross. Anyways, the few I found seemed to have a name in it but it's gone and it doesn't make any sense.

"Like, you tweeted three months ago: 'Is currently trying to kick my ass in mario kart bc the loser pays for our next dinner date.' And clearly his name was before 'is' but it isn't anymore and you can't go back and edit tweets so it's really weird."

Calixta made her way to her car and got in the drivers seat, setting her phone in her passenger seat so she wouldn't be pulled over for talking on the phone. She glanced at her friend as she started the car, realising she had a point.

"Yeah, my messages with him are like that too. Some are deleted so the conversation makes no sense and some look edited which is impossible."

Khaly let out a groan of distress and frustration. "Fuck!" She shouted loudly. "I just want to know who he is, why is this so hard?"

Calixta shrugged before realising her friend couldn't see her. "I don't know, but try not to stress to much about it."

"Are you seriously unfazed by this?"

It was quiet for a few seconds before Calixta replied. "I'm curious too, Kay. I really do want to learn who this guy is and how he did everything. You think you're stressed about it, but you're not the one who can't remember your boyfriend of a year. I'm just trying not to drive myself crazy about it. I rather focus on my schoolwork, you know."

A sigh was heard from Khaly's end. "You're right. I have to finish this goddamn Modern Art assignment and I have to go to an art museum and compare Renaissance art to modern art. Do you wanna go with me? I don't want to go alone, museums freak me out for some reason."

"It's probably because of how many times you watched Percy Jackson. But yeah, I'll go."

This time a laugh was heard from Khaly. "Shut up, I love Greek mythology. Anyways, I'll meet you at the Brooklyn Museum?"

"You're really going to go to a museum half an hour away?" She asked as she parked her car. Calixta grabbed her bag and phone, shutting her engine off and locking the door. She was forever grateful that she was able to get an apartment just twelve minutes from NYU.

As she walked into the building and up the stairs, she listened to Khaly talk about Ed and other things. The two talked for another hour before Calixta ended the call to get dinner ready for herself.

When she finished eating, she showered and then crawled into bed. She didn't even notice her jewellery box was open an a new pair of earrings were mysteriously placed.