002

Things only got stranger for Calixta after she awoke to find she had no recollection of her ex lover. For instance, her friend Edward Eastwood, otherwise known as Ed, no longer had someone to play soccer with every Friday night. Ed knew he played Friday nights at specifically 5 PM with Calixta's boyfriend, but the man had mysteriously disappeared and even Ed couldn't remember him.

Additionally, Calixta's mother was constantly asking for her to just go over and have dinner, and to bring her boyfriend. Calixta couldn't bring a boyfriend she didn't have but her mother, despite also not being able to recall anything on the peculiar man, seemed to love him as a son (in law, of course.) So if Calixta were to say they broke up and she didn't remember how, why, or who he was, then surely her mother would think something was wrong with her daughter and put her on some medication.

So Calixta carried on with her life– she assumed as her ex meant for her to do before he disappeared in thin air. She did think it was odd that nobody in her life could even describe the man's appearance or recall his name, but she decided not to drive herself crazy over it.

That was until she found herself awake at three in the morning after drinking four cups of coffee in order to finish an eight page essay for her English Literature class. The 21 year old found herself drinking out of the date-engraved mug and scrolling through her photos on her laptop. She was mindlessly going through the photos when suddenly her eyes landed on an interesting picture.

It seemed as if she was taking a photo with another person, except they were photoshopped out. The first big giveaway was the fact the hearts were hovering over nothing, where she assumed the head of the other person belonged. The second was the pose. Calixta seemed to be sitting on the person and leaned to the side in order to look back at them with a smile on her face and hearts over her head. It was a weird pose for someone taking pictures by themselves.

She continued to go through all the photos, finding some that were similar in the way that obviously someone was either cropped or photoshopped out. Whoever her ex boyfriend was, he put in a lot of effort to erase himself from her life. It seemed there were just too many pictures of them and others to delete, and so for memory sake, he just edited himself out.

Unfortunately, not even looking at the photos could spark any information on the man. She just knew she loved the blurry blob in her memories; she loved him wholeheartedly and dearly. But now, she couldn't even remember his name, which she admit helped assuage the heartbreak, but she still felt insane and whoever he was, she missed him.

How the hell did she miss someone who she can't even remember?

The tan skinned girl decided to call it a night and got off her couch, closing the lid of her laptop and placing it on the counter. After dumping the remaining coffee out, she took a Benadryl and turned the lights off, scrambling into her bedroom and settling into bed.

Soon, the medicine she took kicked in and she was passed out.

+

     Fortunately, Calixta didn't have any morning classes the following day. So when she woke up at roughly 12:30 PM, she didn't need to rush around. Her English Literature class wasn't until 3 o'clock, giving her two and a half hours to do as she pleased.

For some reason, she couldn't shake the thought of the pictures and mysterious ex boyfriend out of her head. In hopes of resolving her problem, she clambered into the shower.

After she showered and dressed herself, she texted Ed in hopes he'd want to meet for a very late lunch. Elated when he agreed, she shoved her laptop into her messenger bag and pulled her trusty shoes on, walking out the door.

Ed was already seated at their usual table of their favourite place to eat lunch–Saigon Shack. It was delicious and close to NYU, the university the both of them attended.

The petite girl entered the restaurant and  took a seat in front of him, immediately asking to see his phone after putting her bag down gently in the space next to her.

"Hello to you. Why do you need my phone? Did you accidentally snapchat me nudes or something?" Ed questioned with a playful smirk.

Calixta wanted to wipe the damn smirk off his attractive face. "No," she groaned in response. "I just wanted to check something. It's about him."

With a curious eyebrow raise, Ed pulled his own shiny iPhone, which matched Calixta's, out of his pocket, placing it into his close friend's palm. Satisfied with how easy it was to get his phone, Calixta pressed her thumb into the home button, already having her own fingerprint on his phone from the countless times they'd accidentally switched phones.

She didn't go through his photos, in case she stumbled across somethings that would burn her eyes. Instead, she opened his contacts. She knew most of the people on his list and if she didn't, he had an answer.

It seemed Ed's soccer partner was deleted from his contacts, which was a damn shame. She exited out of the app completely (and ended up closing a few others for him) before swiping the screen in search for his Instagram app.

Ed didn't post much on his page– mainly videos of him playing soccer, food, and group pictures. He was an astronomy major, however, so his profile was littered with pictures of the sky, graphs, star charts, and excited posts about natural phenomenons.

Calixta scrolled through all 82 photos, looking for comments. She watched each video, hoping to catch a glimpse of a man she might've dated. The only videos on Ed's account were videos of him making goals, megging people, or his foot work with the soccer ball. Unfortunately, most videos were filmed when it was windy so the voices were barely heard or Ed edited music over it.

However, Calixta was lucky when she landed on a video from 32 weeks prior. Ed was being filmed, as usual, by Calixta's ex, since he was the only person who played soccer with Ed. It was just her luck that the day the video was taken, wind speeds were 0 MPH and Ed hadn't edited a shitty pop song over it.

She watched closely. Ed kicked the ball into the goal from yards away and once the ball landed in the goal, a cheer was heard from behind the camera along with a, "Nice one, man!"

And damn, he sounded attractive as fuck to Calixta.