t e n

TO CRASH AND BURN

*****

Sadie sat in a chair in front of the S.S.R. meeting room. Her arms and legs crossed as she narrowed her eyes at Colonel Phillips and a few high rank officials that sat around the circular table, facing Sadie. Along with them, Peggy, Howard, Steve, and a few other agents sat in the back of the room, watching the whole ordeal in concern. But in a way, they were not surprised Sadie ended up in this situation.

"What am I going to do with you, Monroe?" Colonel Phillips asked in a frustrated tone.

"I didn't do anything." Sadie replied, lying through her teeth.

"Private Lorraine says you used your power against her." Colonel Phillips said.

"That's a lie," Sadie gritted through her teeth. "I would never use my gift to hurt others."

"She says you waved your hand." Colonel Phillips continued to say.

"There was a fly."

"And everything in her area comes crashing down." Colonel Phillips said, ignoring her comment.

"Coincidence?" Sadie asked, sarcasm heard in her tone.

Colonel Phillips remained silent, his arms crossed as he stared at Sadie.

"Gust of wind, maybe? There has to be a breeze in the building somewhere." Sadie said being sarcastic again, but tried acting serious at the same time.

"Enough, Monroe," Colonel Phillips barked at her. He sighs, almost fed up with her. "You really enjoy annoying me, don't you?"

"Well sometimes it's fun." She said and huffs out tiredly as she looks away.

Colonel Phillips leans forward in his seat, lacing his fingers together. "Remember when I told you about your slip up issue, Monroe?"

Sadie glanced back at Colonel Phillips, raising her eyebrows at him.

"So this counts as treason? It's not my fault you recruited a walking hormonal machine that winks at everything with a heartbeat." Sadie retorted sarcastically.

A snicker is heard from the back of the room. Sadie, Colonel Phillips, and the officials look back and notice Howard leaning forward in his seat, elbows on his knees as he covers his face to prevent himself from laughing aloud.

Colonel Phillips turns back around to Sadie. "You're fiancé thinks you're funny."

Sadie smiles proudly.

"Well I do aim to-" Her smile dropped, realizing what Colonel Phillips just said. "Wait, fiancé?"

"Monroe, I'm sure you're aware that Mr. Stark and I had a meeting earlier this morning." Colonel Phillips informed her.

"Yes, I'm aware." She answered as she looked behind Colonel Phillips, catching Howard's eyes and glares at him.

"We discussed a number of things and the topic of you came up." Colonel Phillips stated.

Sadie glanced back at Colonel Phillips. Her eyebrows furrowed. This led Colonel Phillips to continue this speech.

"As it pains me to say this, you have been a valuable asset in assisting us in the war. You help with several projects, designs, and you're incredibly fast on a typewriter, fastest I've seen since never. But nevertheless, Mr. Stark and I have come to realize that with your gift you could-"

"Did you just say "gift," Colonel?" Sadie asked, interrupting him as she smiles widely.

"In this situation, I am." Colonel Phillips continued. "As I was saying, with your gift, you could do some real damage to HYDRA. We want you in the front lines next to Captain Rogers and his team when we wipe HYDRA off the map."