Phoenix Reborn

There was a package waiting for me on my bed when I walked in. I didn't see it at first, being as exhausted as I was. Instead my backpack dropped to the floor and landed with a loud clunk! while I turned my attention to the large beanbag chair in the corner of the room and contemplated the pros and cons of just taking a nap right there.

Who decided that taking Calculus over summer break was a good idea?

And not only Calculus, but Geography, Ecology and Biology. Kill me now. Put me out of my misery, I beg of you!

Groaning I collapsed on the beanbag in a pile of arms, legs and designer clothes, and closed my eyes, rubbing my temples with one manicured fingernail--a result of the forced 'mommy-daughter afternoon' yesterday. A headache was in my future, I decided grimly. Great.

Today's lectures had been particularly grueling. Who cares about equations, properties of dirt or what makes up human cells? Summer time is supposed to be relaxing. I shouldn't have to deal with this crap right now. I did well these past four years; doesn't that warrant me a break?

My phone vibrated loudly from its place in my back pocket, the sound magnified due to being pressed between two heavy, solid things. Pulling it out, a banner going across the screen showed my email icon with my parents' address beside it. "Probably going to tell me they found the Book of the Dead and that they can't come home right now because they resurrected a three-thousand year old mummy who's obsessed with his girlfriend and is trying to destroy the world," I muttered, tapping in my password and going to my emails.

Lit up in bold blue was my parents most recent email. Correspondence was sketchy, as Wi-Fi in the Egyptian desert is touch-and-go. This was their fourth email in two months and the content usually had nothing more than questions about graduation--yeah, they missed that--and my school work. Quite the affectionate parents, right?

"Hey, honey, wanted to let you know we won't be home for a bit longer. The excavation is going so well and another few corridors were just uncovered... Would feel horrible about leaving now. Anyways, much love and we will see you for Thanksgiving. Mom and Dad." Sighing, I pocketed my phone once again and ran a hand through my dark waves, disappointment settling in.

But it's been like this my entire life--why would it change now?

Blinking as I relaxed into the beanbag, I noticed something odd out of the corner of my eye and turned. A package. On my bed. What was it? Information about school had been sent out weeks ago--and why was it on my bed? The maid normally puts the Mail on the kitchen counter for my parents to see.

Everything about this was odd, I decided and eyed it warily. Sitting on the edge of my bedspread, I peered at the label and was surprised to see it addressed to me. I never get mail, let alone a good-sized package. My curiosity eventually won out and I pulled on the edge of the packing tape, ripping it off in one swoop.

It was full of pamphlets--colorful, bright and bold pamphlets. Pastel colors aren't really my thing so I was more than a little confused when I saw them. They were all different, too. One was labeled "costumes" in bright orange font, elaborately designed clothes shown as I flipped through the pages.

My confusion disappeared and a rush of fear filled its place as I scanned through the letter at the bottom of the box. My hands shaking, I let the paper fall back on the bed and buried my face in my hands.

Oh, no. Please, don't let this be what I think it is.

The first phrase of the letter--because it was a letter, not just a random piece of paper--echoed through my mind and I felt like I was going to be sick: Dear Miss West, we are pleased to inform you...

Making a split decision, I reached for my phone. I needed to talk to Dante and I needed to talk to him now.

I met Dante Heron and his boyfriend Chris this past Christmas at a charity event for one of the many causes my parents supported--if you can call supporting "aiming for the spotlight". Of course I was the youngest person there and I after grabbing a glass of water from the bar--you can never tell if the nonalcoholic beverages at these things were spiked anyways, so water was the way to go--my attention was drawn to the violinist performing a soft, calming piece as background music.

Even though there wasn't anything particularly spectacular about the piece, I recognized him as the musician who was slowly but surely rising in fame throughout the high ranks of the elite. Even though classical music wasn't really my thing, I admired the way he obviously poured his very soul into each note--and it was easy to tell the brunette in the corner thought so, too, if the bedroom eyes he was shooting off was anything to go by.

When the violinist finished his set, he headed over to the brunette--who, I realized, had a black violin case leaning against his leg--and accepted his hand, intertwining their fingers and initiating a quick peck on the lips. There was such adoration in both of their gazes that I felt myself blush at the intimacy. The brunette leaned against the violinist, whispering softly in his ear and the violinist smiled, his startling green eyes shining.

I was surprised when they stopped in front of me, the pair of them offering small smiles. "I'm Dante Heron," the violinist said suddenly, sticking out his hand for me to shake and when I accepted it, our friendship begun.

He hasn't changed at all, I thought warmly as I sat on what was fondly dubbed "my bench" and watched from the shadow of the large oak tree as the tall, thin man walked towards me with a confidence that was subtle and not full of arrogance. His dark curls were as unruly as usual and his new tan stood out against the white v-neck and blue jean shorts he wore. As he came closer, I looked into his eyes and was thrilled at the contentment I found there.

Chris is a miracle worker.

"Thanks for meeting me," I said as he sat beside me and I pulled my legs up to my chin. "I just really need some advice," I admitted in a softer tone.

I caught the brief look of concern that appeared in the depths of his eyes before he schooled them. "Tell me, Phoenix," he said firmly. "What's going on?"

The words just came pouring out, as if that sentence was some magic password that unlocked a water dam. I told him about seeing the flyer about auditions for the theatre company on the door of the community auditorium and deciding to audition as a "screw you" to my parents, the world and myself a day or so after graduation. I told him how I was surprised that I actually wanted this so badly and that I'd been waiting almost six weeks to hear back while trying to forget so the nerves wouldn't get to me. In an even softer voice, I admitted my fear that my parents would react badly and that I would be alone. While I was becoming a mess of emotions, Dante just sat there looking at me, his gaze firm yet comforting, and reminded me to breathe.

After I stopped speaking, all that could be heard for a few moments was my quick gasps of air. Dante put one hand over mine, pondering what to say--if there's one thing I knew about him it's that he never says anything without thinking everything through. While he took his sweet time, I continued taking deep, calming breaths and began looking around the park, smiling slightly at the children who played on the playground. To be so young and carefree...

Dante's hand squeezed mine once and I looked back over to him. With a small smile, he said simply, "Your real family would want you to be happy."

November--Three Months Later

An up-and-coming actress with long dark hair and a smile that rivaled the stars waited impatiently in the lobby of the city theatre, anxious to begin seeing the nightlife that touring had promised her months ago. Free of her heavy, elaborate costume and thick layers of stage makeup, she wore simple clothes for a night out with her brothers instead. With a soft chime the lobby doors opened and in walked two men: one with the calloused fingers of a violinist and the other with the violinist's ring on his finger.

With a wide grin, she ran to them and they accepted her once again with the open arms of family.