Chapter Nineteen

Comincia dall'inizio

Let me know you’re safe – Nick.

By now the bus was almost at my stop, I text back and said I was fine, and thanked him for dinner. Clearing up what had happened would have to come at another time. Right now I had to get home and forget tonight had ever happened. I pressed the stop button once the driver turned in to my street. Once he stopped, I hopped off the bus and walked across the street.

Both Marc and Josh’s cars were in the driveway, I walked up the path and opened the front door.

“Honey’s I’m home!” I called with a laugh

“Sarah! You’re home! How was dinner?” Janie asked her eyes narrowing. I could tell she wanted to add a “with Nick” on the end of her sentence, but didn’t because the boys were hovering around behind her, making coffee in the kitchen.

“It was fine, what are we watching? I asked flopping down on the dark blue suede couch.

Janie shuffled up the couch to give me a little room then turned the tv off.

She looked at me, her emerald green eyes were intensely staring at me now, and it was obvious that I was not getting away with keeping silent anymore. Not about Nick at least. I glanced over in the direction to the boys who were laughing about something ridiculous, they disappeared down the hall with their coffees soon after.

“They’re hooked their consoles up, we won’t see either of them all night. Now spill!”

“There really isn’t anything to spill”

“You and I both know that isn’t true Sarah. Today at lunch the tension was so rife once you ran off from lunch we had to cut it when a knife. Both Josh and Marc were left completely dumbfounded when Nick ran off after you, especially as his lunch had barely been touched”

I shrugged, avoiding Janie’s eye contact.

“Talk to me, maybe I can help” Janie whispered, his hand gently touched my shoulder.

“You can’t, but thank you”

“try me”

I took a deep breath and steadied myself.

“I love him” I said in a whispered, as the words left my mouth, butterflies twinkled in my stomach, followed closely by the sinking feeling that loving him was entirely futile right now.

“I thought so, does he feel the same?” She replied softly

I just nodded, there was a lump in my throat again now, and I was afraid that if I spoke tears would begin to flow.

“So then he just needs to break it off with Amelia, he’s never been happy with her, they’ve never seemed ‘together’” Janie suggested, as if it was an easy solution to an easy problem. I scoffed, and rubbed my eyes.

“He can’t break things off with her.”

Janie frowned and shook her head.

“I thought he was better than that? Picking her over you…. The woman he loves and for what?”

“Everything Janie. Everything.”

I yawned and stretched. Bed was calling me, and I was going to obey it. I gave Janie a small hug and thanked her for caring before heading down the hallway to my own room and climbing in to bed.

I chucked my phone on the night stand and my eyes slowly began to get heavier and heavier. I was on the brink of falling in to a deep sleep when my phone began vibrating. Without thinking I grabbed it and answered the call.

“Sarah, I’m sorry” Nick’s voice echoed down the phone

“Hmprehth” I mumbled, I’d meant to say ‘its okay, im fine’  but in my dozing state my words jumbled themselves.

“are you in bed Sarah?”

“Mmmm”

“I called to apologise about Amelia showing up like that.”

“It’s fine,” I replied suddenly very awake at the mere mention of Amelias name. “It reminded me exactly why I need to stay away from you. I’m sorry Nick. Tonight was a mistake.”

Nick didn’t reply, in fact he didn’t say anything for a few minutes and I began to drift off to sleep again.

“I know, and you’re right. I just needed to hear your voice one last time” he whispered, his voice was quiet and sad, and part of me, wanted to ask him to come to me, but instead I settled and said

“We still work in the same building Nick, we can say hello”

“No, we can’t. Sorry” Nick replied his voice was cold, and low

Nick hung up before I could say another word and my heart ached mercilessly. A hour ago we’d admitted we loved each other. Now everything had changed again.

The sudden shift had me confused. Granted, the whole situation between Nick and I was full of sudden shifts, but this time something was different.

I placed the phone back down on the bedside table, and switched the light out.

I let the thoughts drain from my head, too tired to overthink it all tonight.

Tomorrow was a new day.

************************************

Hey guys, thanks for reading, no cliffhanger this time around. I promise the next chapter will be much more interesting (and longer than this.)

The fact Nick has just completely done a 180 degree turn is a very important part of the next few chapters, and it’ll all come to light soon.

So I apologise for the anti-climax of this filler chapter.

I probably won’t be able to update for another day or two, but I will write every minute I have the chance. I really thank you all for reading and I am just so happy that so many of you are enjoying this story.