Chapter 7

We pulled into a really run-down area of the city.  It almost looked like a ghost town.  I felt like we were lost, and I wasn’t seeing anyone around.  But suddenly, Harry stopped and got out of his car. 

"We should probably walk from here," he said, opening my door and sticking out a hand to help me up.  I got out of the car and looked ahead. 

There was a large crowd of people in a huge open lot that was gated off.  Harry grabbed my hand and intertwined our fingers, pulling me behind him.  We walked up to the gate, which was guarded by two large men who looked to be no older than 30.  They nodded as Harry approached and opened the gate for him.  ”Good luck today,” one said as we passed through. 

Once in, Harry turned around and looked at me.  ”Please Love, don’t let go of my hand.”  I nodded. 

We were immediately surrounded by people and loud music.  Some girls and guys were dancing provocatively to the beat, while others stood around and drank or looked at the colorful and fancy cars that were lined up all around the crowd.  The hoods of the cars were propped open to reveal shiny engines, and the owners of the cars stood proudly next to their beauties, making sure no one laid a finger on even the tires. 

Harry continued to pull me through the crowd, looking from left to right at the cars all around us.  He would occasionally turn back to me and whisper something like “That is a really cheap paint job.  You can tell by looking just above the headlight on the left.  He probably got it yesterday!” or “That engine is really not as awesome as it looks.” I didn’t really care though.  I was enjoying looking.

I was so into the cars that I didn’t notice all of the stares I was getting.  When we finally got out out of the cars and more into people, I began to notice it.  People would see Harry, pushing his way through the crowd, then they would see his extended arm and follow it back to our hands, locked together.  Many of the guys had their girls clinging to either side of their bodies.  It reminded me of a koala bear clinging to a tree.  The Guys would slap Harry on the back as he passed or high-five him.  The girls, with their hair and nails done up and tight little dresses on, would smile and wink at Harry, who seemed to be oblivious to it, and then they would divert their attention to me.  I gripped Harry’s hand tighter and tried not to make eye contact.  Feeling my grip get tighter, Harry turned to look at me and gave me a reassuring smile. 

We finally made it to the front of the crowd.  More security-looking men stood and blocked off one of the roads where a few cars were parked.  I assumed it was the starting line.  Most of the cars looked shiny and colorful like the ones we had just passed through, but one of them was just a plain, black car. I laughed. 

"Who thinks they can win in that thing? It looks like a piece of junk," I said into Harry’s ear.

He backed up and smiled at me, then raised and eyebrow and said, “I’m glad my car amuses you.” My face fell and I stopped laughing.  ”Don’t worry, Love, that’s the reaction I get from most people.” He leaned down and kissed me on the cheek, earning me some hateful glances from girls around us.  They were so jealous, and I was loving the attention that I was getting from Harry, but I still couldn’t tell if he was treating me like he usually treats all of his friends that are girls. 

"Harry!" Someone shouted from in the crowd.  Harry and I turned around to see Tom pushing his way through people over to us.  He saw me and sarcastically gasped. "And… Tristan??  Harry told me you weren’t coming!" He yanked me into an awkward hug. 

Once he let me go, I backed up and fixed my hair. “I changed my mind.” 

Tom shook Harry’s hand and whispered something in his ear.  Harry’s brow furrowed as he listened to his brother.  He nodded.  Harry then began to talk to his brother, and he motioned toward me.  Tom smiled mischievously and nodded.