Innocent Days in Dallas

Start from the beginning

"Hey, Kevin, what's up man?" Nick asked when Kevin finally caught up with them.

"Nothing. I just had a question I needed to ask Emma," Kevin said giving Emma a warm smile.

"Okay, what can I help you with Kevin?" Emma asked wondering what Kevin could want.

"Emma Grace, may I take you out on a date this Saturday?" Kevin asked taking Emma's hand in his.

"Oh," was all Emma could say because she was so shocked. However, before she could get over her shock, Nick put his arm around her shoulders and protectively pulled her a few inches away from Kevin.

"Sorry Kevin, but Emma Grace is helping my sisters all weekend. She'll be staying at the house, and they can't reschedule what they need to do. Guess you'll have to ask her some other time," Nick said not removing his arm from Emma and staring at Kevin the whole time.

Kevin studied the way Emma and Nick were standing and then met eyes with Nick. The two just stared at each other for a minute. A small smirk formed on Kevin's lips, and he said, "I see." He turned to Emma and said, "See you around Emma," with that he walked away.

Emma didn't say anything until she and Nick were in the car. When Nick had fastened his seatbelt, she turned toward him and slapped his arm as hard as she could.

"Ow! What was that for?!" Nick demanded rubbing his arm.

"Nicholas Stokes, What In The Name Of Heaven Is Wrong With You!" Emma shouted as she hit Nick's arm again.

"Ow! Ems stop!" Nick yelled grabbing Emma's wrists, not hard enough to hurt her, just enough to make her stop hitting him.

"What's wrong with me? What's your problem?! Kevin was asking me out on a date, and you answered for me and made it seem like we're together! What if I wanted to go out with him?!" Emma demanded.

"Trust me, Gracie, he's not good enough for you," Nick said, and then he let go of Emma's wrists and started driving the car. Emma didn't say anything; she just sat there fuming and looking out the window.

When the two pulled up to Nick's house, Emma jumped out of the car and slammed the door. She stomped up the porch steps and entered the house. Four of Nick's sisters and his mom stared at her.

"Someone needs to talk to Nicholas and remind him that I am a big girl who can decide who she wants to date!" Emma Grace proclaimed to the females staring at her and then she went upstairs to one of the girls' rooms and slammed the door. Nick soon came in and looked at his sisters and mom; they just pointed up the stairs. Nick rolled his eyes and headed up the stairs, and a few seconds later the women could hear Nick knocking on the door and saying, "Gracie, please talk to me. I only want what's best for you." The five women, who were eavesdropping just gave each other knowing smirks. 

Next week at school Kevin had a new girlfriend and was avoiding Emma Grace every chance he got. She knew she would have to have a long talk with Nick on their ride home from school that day.

                                                                           Fall 1990

Seventeen-year-old Emma Grace was in the kitchen making her famous Fall Chilli. Jillian Stokes and her daughters were also in the kitchen helping out. It was two days before Thanksgiving, and the Stokes girls were working on the Thanksgiving feast while Emma Grace was working on dinner for that night. Bill Stokes and his other son were outside getting some firewood. All of the family was waiting for Nick to come home from Texas A&M University.

The Stokes girls slowly started leaving the kitchen for the living room. Soon, Emma was in the kitchen by herself. She didn't mind, though, she liked cooking, and most of the time she went into her "own little world" when she cooked. Emma was so lost in cooking that she didn't hear the footsteps coming into the kitchen.