8- In the Light Of The Moon

Chapter: 8

~In The Light Of The Moon~

I mentally slap myself. How could I not of seen it before! Of course Hazel hates me, she thought I was moving in on her boyfriend. Now I know why she was acting weird this afternoon. She doesn't seem like one to be jealous and I figure she hates herself for it. I should probably apologize and set things straight but I really want to have some time to think. As soon as it got dark I couldn't stand to be around anyone. Everyone went to dinner and I went to explore the camp. I see signs pointing in all directions.
NEW ROME➡
TEMPLE HILL⬆
VIA PRINCIPALIS⬅
BATHS↙
LITTLE TIBER⬇
FORUM➡
SENATE HOUSE↘
VIA PRAETORIA⬅
FIELD OF MARS↖

I decide the best route would be to Temple Hill. As I near the top a bright light pierces my vision. It soon clears and I am immersed in moonlight. I've never seen the moon shine so bright before. I bask in its glorious light. Never have I felt so powerful. Not when I was soaring through the clouds with wings. Not when I had pinned down a boy with claws. Not even when I ran away from Lady Corren's. Now I feel everything good about the world in one second. Happy families, celebrations, laughter, friends, hope, wonder, amazement... It all comes at once and I feel overwhelmed. I barely make it to the top of Temple Hill, glance at the beauty of Camp Jupiter, and think how wonderful a place this is. Despite the strength and power coursing through my veins, I can hardly stand. My vision blackens and I collapse onto a soft bed of grass.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

~Leo~

I sit eating dinner at Camp Jupiter. Shouting teens and needy satyrs-fauns are surrounding the tables and running around. Wind spirits blowing food around as purple lares float around the room. I sit quietly at my table as Percy and Jason explain the Greek myths to Ellee and Aliyah. I barely realize I'm frowning, lost in thought, my ADD kicking in and nervously tapping on the armrest, over and over. I love you. I love you. That was ridiculous. I didn't love Calypso. We had only shared a kiss. So why does my mind keep coming back to her, thinking about her caramel eyes and beautiful hair? Why do my thoughts keep wandering off to, her beautiful gardens full of enchanting moonlace? But I had promised her I was coming back, and Leo Valdez never breaks his promises. Ever. I silently stand and am almost knocked out by a flying plate of spaghetti. Thankfully I duck out of the way just in time. Once I get out of the dining hall I start to look for Lyra. I need to get my mind off Calypso. "Lyra! Lyra! Where are you?" I yell. "You can't disappear too!" I've looked all around camp. One last place to check: Temple Hill. I nearly pass out at the sight of Lyra's body sprawled across the top of the hill. "Oh Aurora. What have you done with yourself? Why did you leave me?" I say half-heartedly. I know it's Lyra but every bone in my body compels me to wish it could possibly be Aurora. Now I can finally begin to understand why Calypso was so miserable. All those years falling in love and being left. I hope she will forgive me for falling in love with Aurora. I do love Aurora. But there isn't a day that I don't think of Calypso. She will always be my biggest what-if. But I will release her from Ogygia.

"Leo?" Lyra croaks bringing me out of my reverie, her voice hoarse. I turn to look at her. I hadn't even realized I'd sat next to her and grabbed her hand. I couldn't focus on her face without wanting to cry. 'I'm Flaming Valdez! I don't cry.' I think. She pulls back her hand and blushes pink. I hope I'm not that red. "Tell me about Aurora." She says a little stronger now. I sigh. "Aurora... the most amazing person I've ever met. She's sweet, powerful, not afraid to get dirty, her laugh is one of the most beautiful sounds I've ever heard. When she sings, I never want her to stop. She's an amazing independent girl who is strong and willing to do anything to help her friends and family. I fell in love with her slowly. We started working on Festus together. We were great friends. Then one day as we were working, I made a joke. I looked at her as she laughed, and thought: She's beautiful when she laughs. And her laugh is beautiful. Then I realized I loved her. I just think she's amazing. I can barely come up with words to describe her." I tell Lyra. "And she's definitely one of the most powerful demigods I've ever known. Not nearly as powerful as Percy or Jason, but close. She's got a power from each of the Olympians. But that's not why I love her. I love her because she actually puts up with me. She's amazing. She doesn't care about how she looks even though shes remarkably beautiful. I wouldn't have her any other way." I didn't realize I was crying until now. Lyra grabs my hand but its not awkward this time. It feels comfortable, like old friends. I quickly gain control and look at Lyra, "This never happened." I state. She nods. Those three words bring back memories though. I remember Calypso in her practical jeans and white t-shirt leaning in to kiss me then pushing me away onto a boat that quickly sailed farther and farther away. 'This never happened.' she had said. I guess the best of things are never to be revealed because they never happen.