Chapter One

I ran through Edoras to our small house situated at the side. My mother was packing evreything My mother looked flustered as I stared at her worried.

"Mother? Whats wrong?" I walked over cautiously, i didn't want her to fly into one of her moods and cause everything to go wrong.

"Pack your things Dernhelm, were leaving." She picked up an iron dagger and stared at it, before she threw it carefully into her pack of things.

"Where?" I looked at her saddened, what was happening? Did something cause her to move? But then i thought about all the women and children were packing stuff as well. i wondered if Edoras was under attack. But then again, we would've been told if it was happening.

"Helms Deep." She said it simply after a moments pause and I stared at her shocked. Helms Deep was apparently the last place of defense for Rohan when it was under attack. Virtually impregnable. I reached down and scratched our wolf hound behind his ears. He was only a puppy and he always  seemed to be getting into trouble. I scratched Shaggydog behind his ears once more and turned to my mother defiantly.

"I'm not going!" I hissed at her angrily and she turned around and glared at me. I thought i was going to receive a slap across the head, but i didn't. She stared at me sadly and then she walked over and placed her hands on my shoulders.

"Dernhelm..Your sixteen now. In a year or two more you will be called upon to defend our borders. Please Dernhelm. Listen to me and I Swear that I will buy you a dagger. Do you agree with me?" Her eyes were pleading me to listen to her and i knew that there would be no one in Edorasif she and all the other's left. Life was hard. I nodded and a smile broke out on her face. The smile rarel came upon that face and reached those eyes since our father died. Sometimes, I wondered if he really was dead or if he left us to pursue life elsewhere. I nodded and patted her head with a smile.

"Ill saddle the horses." I promised her and her face lit up like whenever my Father entered the room. I opened the door and ran to the stables, Shaggydog followed after me, barking in a happy joyful way. There was already boys my age rushing to the stables and i cleared them quickly. They averted Shaggydog when they saw the glint of his eyes. I pushed open the stable doors and ran head first into Bodor. He was at least Fourty-nine and he had no hope of retiring as he often quoted. He was a  substitute father to me and was often teaching me thens that me and the other boys never knew. He laughed as I hit off of him and he reached behind and patted his war horse Kicker soothingly. The Bay horse glared down at me angrily and I couldnt help but feel small compared to him.

"Steady on Son!" He patted my back and nodded at the end stable. "Swiftfire is growing lad, Is he going to be a big battle horse?" He leaned against the large door of the open stables and pushed Kicker against it so people and horses could rush in and back.

"I hope so, He certainly looks it, doesn't he Bodor?" I asked him politely and moved to the side as a stable hand ran past leading the kings war horse Snow foot.

"Aye. He certainly does. He certainly does." He muttered the words again and glared at a Warrior who had the unfortunate mistake of glaring at Bodor. Bodor hawked and spat into the side of the warriors foot and the warrior has the smarts to turn and lead his horse away.

"Whats actually happening Bodor, where are we going? Are we going to be safe?" I asked him anxiously and he laughed and patted me on the shoulder. It was comforting to know this big warrior wasn't afraid, but then again he wasn't afraid of anything.

"Aye Lad, your right to be scared. Theres an army coming apparently. Its coming to get us and were going to Helms Deep. Theoden sent a messenger to Gondor to ask for help, but I for one Doubt those proud bastards are going to come. Hiding in the seven levels of Their minas tirith.." He grumbled and patted me on the back and walked Kicker away. I stayed well back for Kicker was aptly named.

"Oh yes boy! Falkas Firebeard is stopping by! His giving you a present or some sort to celebrate you going on the wall!" He chuckled and stopped before he turned around. He was sereious. He came over and patted me on the shoulder as if in some way to comfort me. "No matter what lad, ill be beside you on Helms deep wall. Dont you forget it. Just remember to stop by the armourers." He nodded and turned away. Kicker kicked out against a stable hand midway and Bodor roared with laughter as the frightened stable hand sprinted away. I saddled my mothers quite gelding and placed the saddle on my fiery horse Swiftfire. He was two and it seemed i was the only one he listened to. The fact didnt seem comforting. I led the horses out and walked to the armourers. He was a grizzled old man who had knew my father once upon a time. He nodded at flicked his head at me to come over. I walked over and he placed a hand on my shoulder.

"Are you excited boy? Your going to defend Helms Deep!" He laughed and I laughed with him. Strange times indeed.

"Bodor told me to come here." I informed the armourer quickly and he nodded his head and began to mutter in a foreign tongue before he ran off and came back. He was carrying armour.

"That will fit you boy. As for a sword, youll get that at Helms Deep! Now off with you!" He rushed at me and I backed out. I carried the horses down to my mothers house to meet Falkas Firebeard. He was holding onto a sack and he shouted out madly when he saw me. He grabbed onto me tightly and I saw my mother. Evidently, Falkas had told her of what was happening.

"Well boy, heres a present for you! Your going to be a man on that wall! Making your father proud I bet!" He chuckled and reached into the sack. He brought out a wolf that was the color of black, except for a white streak on its face.

"Here you go boy. Now wed best get moving. Things are getting exciting around here!"

Lord Of The Rings Fanfic; Rider of the SunOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara