5. The Aftermath

After being humiliated and labeled as the Omega at the party.  I ran home ignoring everyone who called out for me and locked myself in my room.

I haven't been able to leave my room for 5 days now.

Anne would come by and try to open the door, but I just ignored her. Helen would tap on my window to see if I was alright, but I would just go in my closet to hide just in case she tried to look in. Mark, as the drunken asshole he was, would spend hours banging on my door, trying to force his way in and mess with me. The bright side is that he no longer calls me names. The downside is that he now refers to me as the omega. Which, in my perspective, is worst.

Occasionally, I would sneak out of my room when no one was in the house to eat any of Mark's leftovers, but as soon as I heard a sound I would be back in my room. Away from the world.

I had difficulty accepting that I was the Omega. I mean I do admit that I kind of had a feeling since everyone hated me but when it became official and thrown in my face out loud, it was like the world became darker than it was already.

I was feeling terrible about the news, but Alkina didn't take it lightly either. If anything, she took it worse. And she still does.

"THE OMEGA! How dare they give such a powerful wolf a label like that!How dare they give ME that label If anything, that Alpha is my omega.That Alpha will bow to ME and not look ME in the eye."

She would rant and ramble about the Alpha paying for his wrongdoing. I would try to ignore her, but the way she spoke, made me uneasy.

"Alkina, it's time for my questions to be answered. Why do you continue to emphasize your power?"

"Adeline right now is not the right ti-"

"Yes, it is. I'm patiently waiting for you to tell me everything, but hearing you keep ranting about it is making me impatient."My voice held a combination of annoyance and slight authority.

I can feel the rumble in her growl getting louder, as if I had disrespected her.

"Come on, Alkina, it's enough that I'm the Omega of the pack. I'm basically a slave to every wolf in this place. If they whistle, I must come. If they tell me to jump, I must ask "how high?". Ever since I have been a child, my father has been blaming me for my mother's death. For years now, I have been praying to the Moon Gods and nothing!"

Tears began to form in my eyes. I was unable to hold on to this pain anymore and had to let it go.

"I prayed to them for years, but no one listened. I have no one to turn to for help! I AM WORTHLESS...I am an Omega. I am nothing. I am trash. I mean, I must be a murderer since nobody is there for me. Anne is probably there because she feels pity for me. There is no love in this world for me. I may not even have been blessed with a mate. If you ask me, all I have is time. There's nothing in this world for me, so all I have is only time. Until I am old and rotten as the Omega, I truly am."

I wiped my wet face with the back of my sleeves and massaged my temples due to the massive headache that started to occur from all the mental shouting. My shoulders leaned forward, I raised my knees to my chest and buried my face in my legs. I tried to control my breathing by taking long, slow breaths, but I kept choking on tears.

I sat there in the corner of my room for what seemed like an eternity just waiting for Alkina to say something, but was met with silence.

And then finally...

"Adeline... please trust me. All will be revealed shortly and I wish I could tell you, but I'm not allowed to. But you are not an omega, nor will you ever be one. Nobody is. Everyone is equal, but unique in their own way. And you are very special, my child."

I exhaled sharply. There is no trust in this world, and I'm worn out from trying.

"Whatever Alkina...just leave me alone."

"Adeline, please just-"

"I asked to be left alone." My voice was harsh and I spoke every word with a sharp pause.

"As you wish."

And with that, I felt our connection disappear.

****** (approximately 5 hours later)********

I sat in the same spot in my room, gazing up at the ceiling.

I am absorbing every detail about it.

The old and dated white paint began to peel and crumble. One tap would cause it to collapse and fall to the ground.

There are spots of mold clustered together in a corner. Emitting a slight unpleasant scent. Alarming anyone who entered that the house was in need of repair, but Mark wouldn't dare touch a tool.

I turned my attention from the ceiling to the rest of my room.

I had a small room with a capacity of about 8 people standing up, but only 3 people laying down right next to each other on the ground. To be honest, it was more like a pantry.

I didn't really have any furniture. Just an old, almost broken nightstand that I stole from the garbage and snuck into my room when I was eight.

I had a bookshelf that already came with the room, but Mark, who was drunk, threw me into it. Breaking it into pieces.

My bed was technically not a bed. It was a ripped bright green yoga mat that was warned out. That was adequate for two-thirds of my body. I wasn't allowed to have a bed. Mark would always claim that my cleanliness would draw in bed bugs and infest the entire house.

I sat there for another hour until I felt like I needed air.

A nice walk would be nice.

I got up off the floor and slowly opened my window to prevent it from squeaking and attracting any unwanted attention. After opening it, I cautiously climbed out and then headed towards the woods.

As I walked deeper into the woods, I came upon a lake. I looked around, and I found it to be quite familiar.

I woke up at this lake when I first shifted.

It was a large, beautiful lake that can be memorized by anyone with one glance. I took a large breath, letting the smell of nature fill my lungs.

Upon looking around, I noticed a large boulder on the side of the lake and began walking towards it.

As soon as I arrived, I sat on the peak of the rock, criss-crossed applesauce and allowed my thoughts to flow with the gentle breeze hitting my face with my eyes were focused on the moon.

A sudden noise caught my attention three minutes in.

My ears perked up at the sound of leaves crushing and footsteps coming towards me.

I got up, dusting myself off and started walking away from the noise, but before I could reach the woods, the owner of the footsteps caught up with me.

"Heyyy stop! Who are you?" His deep voice sent chills down my spine as he tried to catch my attention. I shook off the feeling and started walking faster.

"Answer your soon-to-be-Alpha now!" His voice boomed into the night sky and my body froze.

Oh..no.

"Ummm..I'm...no one." I spoke quickly without thinking. I mentally slapped myself after noticing what I just said.

Great job Adeline, now you sound suspicious.

"What? Just stay right there, don't move." He started off confused at what I just said, but once he regained himself from that weird moment, his voice shifted back to authority.

His footsteps grew closer and closer, and with every step, I became more lightheaded.

A hand suddenly gripped my shoulder and turned me around so he could see who this "no-one" was.

The touch of his hand on my shoulder sent shock waves through my body, and once his bright hazel eyes met mine, Alkina's voice shouted in my head.

"Mate."