Chapter Twenty-Eight

The next morning, Fiona had to keep telling herself — it was only a nightmare, the old man trying to scare her.

Trying!

He had, for in the dream — Fiona had heard the old man telling Harmony to play nice.

But no, Harmony had tried to flee from the kitchen. And Fiona, outside, trying to open the kitchen door up, had seen for a split second; the kitchen door opening. Harmony suddenly appearing.

'Mum, help me, hel ...'

Her words were cut short as she was pulled back by her hair, the kitchen door slamming shut, and then she could hear him, the old man.

'I told you to be fucking nice to me. Why don't you listen? Why, why, why?'

And that's when Fiona heard a terrible sound, something no parent would ever want to hear. Her daughter choking.

'I can't breathe, you're choking me, you're choking me, I can't, I can't.'

It faded away; her daughter's voice, and in its place came a snarling sound, the old man.

'Yes, you like it, you like it so much.'

What happened next — Fiona couldn't remember. She only knew that she had woken up crying. Hoping to God - it really was the old man trying to scare her.

And he had, that much so,  she had to ring Chris up. Why? Because of something he had mentioned last night — Harmony being hurt.

'I hope; I haven't woken you up?'

Chris, in bed, said no. But that was a big lie — the ringing tone had woken him up.

'What's wrong? — Has something happened?'

'No, nothing's happened. It's just something you said last night. Something about Harmony.'

'Oh, that.' Chris said in a careless manner, not meaning to, but the man's tongue was never in a good mood without his morning coffee.

'I'm just worried, that's all.'

'About what?' Chris asked, propping himself up in bed.

'What you said about Harmony and the dream?'

'The dream?' Chris said, the last part confusing him. He hadn't mentioned anything about a dream.

'Sorry, you've got me. I'm lost. What dream?'

'I had a dream last night, quite a bad one.'

'About what?'

Fiona didn't want to go that road again, but she had already begun the engine. She couldn't go back.

'It was probably nothing, just a bad dream, but I can't get it out of my head. You know what I'm saying?'

'I think I do; can you tell me about it? The dream?'

Fiona did — what parts she could remember, the kitchen door not opening, Harmony being choked, and that voice telling her to be nice!

'I can't get it out of my head. It's why I have to know.'

'Know what?'

'You said Harmony would be hurt; how do you know this?'

A brush of silence came over the phone; it was Chris thinking. He had to come clean.

'By the same thing; you had last night.'

'You had the same dream?' Fiona asked, her voice sounding surprised.

'Not the one you just explained. Each one has been different, but each one has been the same. Harmony in danger.'

'Do you think I should get her away from here?'