6. Boy kisses Girl (2.0)

~(Flashback)~

"So, would you say you two are just regular friends, or best friends?" Delilah asked me.  I pretended to think seriously about it before answering.

"I think probably just friends.  I want to take that big step forward into best friend-ship, but I don't feel that Tree is really ready for that," I replied with a straight face.

"Do the two of you have conversations during your meetings?" she asked, television reporter style.

"Not out loud.  But we do converse.  I say something and Tree feels it, and responds.  We have a connection," I explained gravely, close to laughter.

"Wow.  That was... so inspirational.  I feel like I want to have a connection with a tree.  TREE HUGGERS FOR LIFE!" she cried, running to a tree and hugging it.  I burst into laughter as she whispered to the tree for a few seconds before facing me again.  Her smile was so playful and happy that it could light up the entire universe.  I smiled back at her as she informed me that the tree says I'm not nice.

"Oh really?" I asked, raising one eyebrow.

She nodded.  "Yes.  He/she/it also says that you're a weirdo for staring at trees all day."

"I don't stare all day," I protested.

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah."

"Prove it!" she exclaimed.

"I'm not staring at the tree now, am I?" I pointed out.  I wasn't staring at the tree.  I was staring at her.  But she didn't notice.  

Slumping down in defeat, she surrendered and we stood for a minute in silence.  I studied her features, wondering what it was about this girl that drew me closer to her.  Looking off into the distance, I tried to focus my thoughts.

It was her smile, or the way she spoke.  It was the fact she radiated joy, or that she didn't treat me like a stuck up rich guy.  Delilah Livingstone was just all-around special.

I turned to face her, not blinking as I realized what I had been thinking.  To my surprise, she wasn't blinking either.  A staring contest?  Oh I'm going to win this.  

I took a step closer, then another one and soon we were nose to nose.  Now I was focusing all my attention on trying not to kiss her.  And so I blinked.

"HA!  You blinked!" Delilah yelled ecstatically.  She began dancing around in place, chanting "I won, you lost, I won, you lost!"

Delilah brought out a childish side of me that no one had ever seen before.  I was so very happy that she had won, because the look on her face when I had blinked was worth losing.  But my inner child was pouting, so I demanded a rematch, calling her a chicken when she refused at first.

After a minute of prep time, we were ready to go.  We had separated after our last match, but I needed to be closer to her.  Stepping close again, I stared into Delilah's eyes.  Her bright green eyes were filled with happiness, and hope, but she was sad too.  Something had caused this wonderful girl a sadness she didn't deserve.  

I leaned forward as if against my will, trying to take away the sad look in her eyes.  My eyes slid closed as I kissed her gently.  For one moment, she kissed me back and time froze.  Then she pulled away and punched me.  Hard.

~(Present Time)~

"Whatcha thinking about?" Delilah drawled as we stood in line to get ice cream from one of the park vedors.

"The first time we kissed," I replied with a smirk.  She gaped at me, her beautful face turning bright red.  I winked and stepped up to order my ice cream.

"One birthday cake ice cream with kiwi slices and cookie dough chunks please," I requested, then stepped aside so Delilah could order.

"Hello!  I'll have a large scoop of chocolate ice cream, one scoop of birthday cake ice cream, and one scoop of strawberry ice cream.  And then I'd like a scoop of gummies bears, lots of whipped cream, and mini chocolate chips please!"  The ice cream man's mouth dropped open.  I just grinned at Delilah, poking her in the side.  

"How do you manage to stay in such good shape eating that much sweets?" I teased.  Making a face at me, she grabbed her ice cream.  I grabbed mine too and paid the ice cream man.  "Thanks," I nodded to him as we walked away.

"Do you really think I'm in good shape?" Del asked as we found a bench to sit on as we ate.

"If beautiful was a shape," I started, "it would be your shape."

"No.  Don't ever try to be cheesy again.  That was horrible," Delilah shook her head at me.

"I'm trying to be sincere!  You just ruined it!" I told her, turning up my nose at her.  Barely suppressing her laughter, Del reached out with her spoon and tapped my nose.

"Don't you look down your nose at me," she playfully scolded.  I gasped, crossing my eyes to see how much ice cream she had gotten on my face.

"That was a waste of perfectly good ice cream," I informed her, swiping it off my nose with a finger.  Using a napkin, I wiped it off my finger.  Delilah was ignoring me, trying to seem innocent with her head down.  So naturally, because being around her makes my brain do funny thing, I swiped some ice cream across her cheek.  Her head popped up and I grinned at her.

"That was a waste of perfectly good ice cream," she mimicked, digging her hand in her ice cream and smearing it all over my face.  Licking my lips, I smiled evilly.

"That's a pretty good ice cream combination," I idly told Delilah.  She looked puzzled until I smashed my bowl of ice cream in her face.  "Have some of mine."  I smiled widely at her outraged face.  In no time at all we were both covered in ice cream.  Leaning forward, I kissed Delilah.

"Mm, ice cream."

It's safe to say that I ran home, laughing while trying to avoid Delilah's fists.  It was definitely worth it though.