What?! I nearly screamed. Instantly, my face flushed with embarrassment.

They can’t smell you had sex but they can smell that my scent is mixed in with yours. They know your fully mated now and there’s only one way to do that so…it’s kind of obvious.

Oh great. That’s just great. I remarked dryly.

            “Finally!” Lisa yipped as she skidded to a halt in front of me at the bottom of the stairs.

            “Uhh what?” Maybe he was wrong….

            “Your finally fully mated!” So he was right.

            “Shh! Keep it down.” I hissed, glancing around. She rolled her eyes and shook her head.

            “Dummy, everyone already knows. As soon as you guys uhh…we all felt it. We felt your mind connect with the pack’s. Don’t worry, we can’t hear your thoughts unless you want us to. Your mind is protected because Evan is your mate.”

            “That’s just embarrassing that everyone knows.” I muttered, following her into the dining room.

            Evan and I took our seats near the end of the table where his dad sat. His mom sat at the other end of the table with the current Beta and his mate at her side. It was tradition that both Alpha and Alpha female sit at opposite ends of the table so that everyone has a chance to speak to an Alpha. It’s supposed to make people feel like there’s some equality. As soon as everyone was seated, Evan’s dad stood and waited for everyone to quiet down.

            “I have an announcement to make. As you all know, I have proudly served as your Alpha for the last 25 years. I have honored and cherished each moment and will always live to serve my pack. However, it has come time to pass the title onto my son. I understand he is young but I’m confident that with his beautiful mate by his side, he will be an effective leader. On the full moon of the next month, I will step down and Evan will step up as Alpha with Sutton being Alpha Female.”

            My mouth opened in shock. I literally hadn’t expected this. I knew I’d be Alpha Female one day but I didn’t think it would be so soon. I wasn’t so sure I was ready to lead the pack just yet. I felt my nerves start to panic and my stomach erupted into a nervous frenzy. What if I let them down? What if I was the worst Alpha Female they’d ever had? Questions flitted through my mind at a rapid pace. Evan sensed my panic and reached over, intertwining his hand in mine. Just his touch soothed me and I felt my nerves slowly start to fade away.

            “You’ll be an amazing Alpha.” He whispered, smiling at me before he stood to address the rest of the table who were all clapping. “Thank you all and I promise I will do my best to sill my dad’s shoes. He is leaving behind a large legacy but I promise to try and serve you the very best I can.”

            People whistled and clapped at his statement before turning to look at me. I forze. Was I supposed to say something now? I wasn’t the type to be able to come up with a speech on the spot. I needed time to prepare and get the wording right. Evan gave my hand a comforting squeeze and gestured for me to stand. Hesitantly, I rose and wrung my hands nervously. People waited quietly to hear what I had to say.

            “Uhh, I’ll start off by saying I’m not really good at giving speeches on the spot so sorry if this comes out completely wrong. I’m only 18, almost 19, so I’m still young. Still young enough to make mistakes. I can’t promise you that I’m going to be perfect Alpha Female because chances are, I’m not. I mean its ridiculous to think I could please everyone with the choices I make.” I paused and looked around, finding uncertainty in everyone’s faces. Taking a deep breath I continued. “You know, if someone had told me when I was five I was going to grow up and be mated to an Alpha I probably would have danced around and thought I was going to be some kind of princess. And if you had told me I was going to be Alpha Female when I was 13 I would have laughed and thought you were crazy. I know your probably like she’s the worst speech giver ever but there’s a point here. You see, I’m going to mess up sometimes so all that I’m asking is that you bear with me.” Nods of appreciation went through the room. “There’s really only two things I’m sure of right now. One,” I looked down at Evan who was looking at me with admiration ringing in his eyes. “I’m absolutely in love with this Alpha. I mean, who wouldn’t be?” People laughed and girls all sighed and made those aww sounds. “And second, I promise you that I do my best to lead you.”

            I nodded once, satisfied with my speech and sat down as the room once again thundered with applause. Evan leaned over and kissed my cheek, taking hold of my hand once again. Glanncing around, I saw my parents and Taylor sitting in the middle of the table, glowing with pride. Taylor saw me looking and smiled at me, a smile that I returned. I felt like for once my life was maybe not perfect, I don’t believe there’s such a thing, but at least as close to perfect as you could get. As dinner was served I looked around at the pack members that were sitting and chatting, laughing at times. Everyone seemed so happy and warm, it made my heart swell with emotion. Looking around, I realized in the last few months I’d gotten a new family.

            “You ok?” Evan asked, seeing my wide smile. I turned and looked at his handsome face. I smiled softly at him, loving the fact that he was mine. Just mine.

            “I’m more than ok.” I responded, giving his hand a squeeze. Just as he was about to respond the doorbell rang. Everyone looked up curiously.

            “Anyone expecting someone?” Evan’s dad asked. Everyone shook their heads and waited until the guard stationed at the door came in looking puzzled.

            “Sir, we have a bit of a situation.”

            “Well who’s the door for?” Evan asked. The guard looked at him and then switched his gaze to me.

            “Her.” He stated. Evan was instantly up and in front of me, as protective as ever.

            “Well who is it?” He hissed, advancing forward. The poor guy took a step back.

            “She didn’t say. Just wanted to talk to a Sutton Collins.” He said quickly. I got up and started walking forward before Evan pulled me back.

            “And where do you think you’re going?” He asked.

            “To go see who’s at the door.” I said in a duh tone and he blinked in disbelief. “Look, you can stand here all you want and try and talk me out of it but you already know I don’t back down when I want something. So either you stay here or you come with me. Either way, I’m going to go see who wants me.”

            With that I started walking again, dragging Evan behind me. As we neared the door Evan stepped in front of me and gestured for the guard and his dad to do the same. They all stopped when we reached the entryway and instantly the smell of a young werewolf hit me. I glanced to my side when I felt someone touch my arm and saw Taylor next to me, peering curiously at me. Behind her stood my parents and Jason and Evan’s mom, all looking curious too. Since Evan, his dad, and the guard were all standing in front of me I couldn’t see anything. I tried to step around Evan but he gently pushed me behind him. I jumped up but he was too damn tall!

            “Who are you?” He demanded, using his Alpha voice.

            “I’m just-just looking for Sutton. I was told she was hear.” A young girl’s stuttering voice filled the silence. I scrunched my face up in confusion, I didn’t recognize the voice.

I tried once more to look around the guards arm but Evan deftly reached behind him and pulled me to him so I was pressed against his back. I sighed in frustration and hit his arm lightly.

“And what do you want with my mate little girl?” He asked, still using his Alpha voice.

“You’re her-her mate?” She stuttered again.

“Yes. So I’m going to ask you again, what is it that you want her for?” He asked dangerously. I could tell from his voice that his wolf was fighting for control. While he probably didn’t find the girl a threat, the urge to protect his mate is strong.

He shifted slightly, creating a space between his arm and the guards. I took the opportunity and peered over his shoulder. I gasped at the person in front of me. She looked away from Evan and glued her eyes on me, taking me in. I knew my mouth was open and I tried to organize my jumbled thoughts and figure out how to close it. The girl in front of me looked to be about thirteen or fourteen. She had coppery coils of hair and bright green eyes. Her pale skin stood in stark contrast to the dark clothes she wore. The only thing she carried with her was a backpack slung over her shoulder. I pushed past Evan and stood in front of him, his arm wrapped protectively around my waist.

“Hi.” She breathed just as everything erupted into chaos.