I nodded in agreement. It was impossible to judge the quality of gems just by a photo.

Fowler continued, "But, my colleagues told me, the courier who delivered the jewelry into their lab had given specific instructions not to film or photograph the set. He was present the whole time when the valuators were doing their job. And I tell you, it took two days for each of the experts."

The Museum of Mexican History loomed before us, Ron paid the driver, and we stepped up the stairs and entered the lobby. Ron flashed his SDPD badge at the information desk in the museum lobby to impress whomever with whatever. The lady picked up the phone and spoke in rapid-fire Spanish. We waited for a minute and then a man in a dark suit, a nicely trimmed mustache and a big-toothed smile approached us.

"Pedro Vasolar, I am pleeesed to meeting you." He spoke a polished, slightly accented English, shook my hand first. After I told him my name, he fixated on me as if I appeared in a different light, suddenly. "Moonstone. Didn't you win the Royal Dutch commission some years ago?"

"Oh, you must be the one person who still remembers. Doesn't happen often," I said.

Pedro smiled broadly. "Theee art community of Mexico City remembers. You dared to beat our local contender; I think both of you made it on the shortlist."

"Ignacio Hermosa. Of course, I remember his work. Later, I heard I won by a nose length."

"And by a very beautiful nose length, if you allow me to remark. The right person won. Your work is superb, Calendar, you will allow me to call you Calendar, will you?" All that was missing was a hand kiss.

Ron rescued me from more Hispanic schmoozing; I secretly hoped that he was at least a little jealous.

"Ron Closeky, San Diego Police. Thank you for seeing us on such a short notice."

Pedro turned to Ron, they shook hands and then Pedro said, "Good to see you again, Mr. Wynn."

Fowler gave his best fake curt British nod. Pedro and Fowler were both unsure who was in the more favorable position. The museum that had paid the insurance fees or the insurance company that had to pay for the stolen national jewels.

"Lady, gentlemeeen, follow me please." Taking my arm gallantly, he led us into the splendid museum. We walked a few yards ahead of Ron and Fowler.

"Did you submit any new art-jewelry lately?" Pedro asked.

"No, I concentrate on my retail collection and my shop. It is too bad about Ignacio Hermosa, I read about his death in the papers a few months back."

Pedro made a face. "A very sad story. One of those crazy muggings; Mexico City can be a violent place. The Mexico City art scene was in shock. Such talent wasted. Step inside, please." He led us into his light spacious office, overlooking the museum plaza.

After seating, refreshments and olives, Pedro looked at us expectantly. "Please, start with your very interesting story."

Ron told him of our interest in the Maximilian Jewels, spoke about the 'sightings' and offerings of 'The Max' in California and that they seemed to have vanished. "About three months ago, some jewelry that we believe to be the Maximilian Jewels was handed over to two well respected valuators in Chicago and Philadelphia. They both wrote detailed evaluations. So we know that the pieces are really in the United States. But we were wondering, how did they get from your museum into the hands of another art dealer without you noticing?"

Pedro took a small sip of his lemonade. "Please, whatever I tell you now, keep in mind that this museum has about twenty thousand items on display at any time."