"He is fine. We are fine, thank you. Anyway, we discussed the case." My face turned a little red. "I hope I was allowed to, I mean as a consultant to the SDPD and all."

Ron patted my arm. "You didn't sign anything yet, so legally you are in the clear."

"Mundy has quite an imagination. He is a writer, what can you say? He formed the theory that Phoebe Eastman and her dad robbed the gallery." I raised my arm as if Mundy's theory was utterly ridiculous.

But Ron gave me a long look. "What's his reasoning?"

"Well, Phoebe had a piece of 'The Max' jewels in her possession when we interviewed her. Where from? Easy, she stole it."

Ron cocked his head. "Apart from the high risk danger freak thing of wearing the piece for a police interview—who opened the safe? Daddy? Or that programmer Polter who has gone missing? Maybe he's under the Mexican sun with Phoebe?"

"Someone interrupted them, Phoebe got away with the loot and Daddy got the boot," I sounded like a gangsta-rapper.

"Oh, Calendar, I think with that scenario we can do better," Ron said. "What about Phoebe killed her daddy?"

"Get out of here," I said.

"The statistics, as always, are on my side. Murder in the family, lots of money involved. Plus, maybe some hidden family conflicts, opportunity arose and little Phoebe took the chance."

"Then take it one step further. Phoebe and Wally Eastman are not related at all. No father-daughter thing. They were simply a con pair—pulling off a sting."

Ron laughed. "I tell you, there is nothing more common than a murder in the family. But seriously, tell Mundy that it is an excellent theory and I will consider it."

For a minute, we sat side-by-side on the bench.

"And you came all the way from Newport to tell me about your fruitless interview with Altward?" I asked him. "Or is there something else?"

"Indeed, there is." Ron stood up and walked over to his illegally parked car. I wondered what fake police stickers went for on the black market. He fetched a folder and again sat beside me.

"Juanita and I hit the San Diego criminal underground last weekend and squeezed our sources. We interviewed this fellow."

Ron opened the folder and Mr. Chong Lee stared back at me. I hoped my ears didn't turn red.

"Who is he?" I asked innocently.

"A locally known fence. Name is Chong Lee, does a little bit of everything, jewels, art, electronics and garbage."

"Garbage?"

"You know, pushing licenses for the local garbage collections. All controlled by the Mafia these days. Sometimes Chong poses as a minor middle man."

"And what is the story of Mr. Lee?"

"The Maximilian Jewels. He has heard of them, they are the latest buzz on the scene. And now this, there is a guy they call 'The Japanese.' He is a respected art collector who sometimes goes illegal in his methods of buying good art. Has heard about the Maximilian Set and he wants to add it to his collection."

"He knows that it is probably stolen?"

"We don't know. That's why I'm here. I want to drive up and ask him."

"Drive up to Japan?"

"Silly, he is here. In L.A., has a suite at the Downtown Westin Bonaventura Hotel. He has agreed to see me."