Thomas shrugged. "Fair scenario. Not unlikely. But I still think that it is too much money for you."

"Twenty percent is your take on every transaction," I pointed out.

"I am up to twenty-five now but I don't want to boast about that," Thomas said dryly. "So, you think you can find the jewels?"

"Can I ask you something, Thomas?"

"Almost anything that does not put me in jail."

"Did you kill Phoebe Eastman? Or have her killed?" There, it was out. But I needed to know. I wanted to see his reaction.

Thomas looked at me sharply. "Phoebe Eastman is dead? What are you talking about?" He was controlled but his surprise seemed genuine.

"Her body has not been found, yet. But I ran across it."

That shut him up. He started to say something. Then stopped.

"While you are recovering, I need you to locate a person for me in or around New York City."

"I thought that's what I hired you to do?"

"No, you hired me to get back your beloved jewels. I am looking for a person who is hiding out."

"In or around New York?"

"Last seen boarding a plane to NYC."

"Anyone I know?"

I gave Thomas a quick rundown on what I knew about Hans Polter, the missing hacker. "My personal theory is that he is good in hiding because he got himself a new ID. He can hack himself into plenty of databases and institutions and establish a good background that way. Can you help?"

"I can pump some connections. Can you get me a photo and more information?"

I nodded.

"How are you able to discuss this inquiry with me after you just gave me this Phoebe Eastman bombshell?" Thomas asked.

"Did you kill her? You have not answered my question, yet." I insisted.

"What would I have to gain from killing the girlfriend of my business associate Altward?"

"I have seen a piece of the Maximilian Jewels around her neck."

"You must have figured out yourself that this makes no sense," Thomas said. "If I killed her to retrieve the jewels, why would I need your help to find them?"

"Maybe because you haven't retrieved all of them. Maybe because you killed her accidentally and need to keep up the face of the jewel hunter?"

"What can I say? No, I did not kill her. And to answer the second part of your question: No, I didn't order a hit on her either. She was a nice kid. A useless artist, but a nice kid. But if you are looking for any sort of alibi, I can't give you one."

"Thomas, it is fine, I studied your reaction. But I had to know."Again, we studied each other in silence.

"So, we have a deal?" I inquired.

"This is the strangest conversation I have ever had with you," Thomas sighed. "Fair market value plus 7.5% of the revenue."

"Agreed."

"We have a deal." Thomas stepped around the counter and gave me a shy kiss on the cheek. I felt the first whiskers of his beard rubbing against me.

"Where did you stay?" I asked Thomas as I walked him out. A little lunchtime rain shower had started.

"Chateau Marmont, of course."

"That old heap is still standing?" Ages ago, we had gone there, after shows, for drinks in the beautiful bar of the hotel.

"It wears a patina quite well," he said, touching his gray streaks of hair. "It reminds me of better times when life was simpler and I was still a little naive."

"I think you still are, Thomas."

He stepped into his car and rolled down the window. "Bye, then."

"Bye, yourself."

"Calendar?"

"Thomas?"

"Can you answer me one question? Do you think it ever could have worked out between us?" He looked into the distance, not at me, when he asked it.

Looking at the rain-streaked streets, I thought about the personal tragedy that stood between us and the guilt we both felt so deep in our hearts. Maybe I should have asked him if he felt it too, the unfathomable sadness like an ice block deep in our stomachs and hearts. And I thought about the situation we found ourselves in, at this time and place. The jewelry thief and the stolen art fence talking about stealing already stolen goods from another thief.

Time and change, Thomas.

I turned around and walked back into my shop.