Chapter Fourteen

"So why did we even come in today? We could've been watching Netflix." Sam asked as he sat down in the chair across from mine.

"Because I needed to work out all the kinks in my Dungeons and Dragons character before we started filming. I know there's a chance I could be a human but I have a plan for everything." I pulled a folder out of the drawer on my desk that was practically overflowing with papers. The folder itself was very close to falling apart, and eventually I would have to invest in a new one, but that could wait.

"What are all of those papers? And when did you have time to organize all this?"

"You remember that one day you came to give me lunch when I was sick? Well I spent all morning that day filling out different character sheets based off the characteristics Maude lets us choose each time we play. Although there are some things I can't account for in this process I just need to make sure that if I do get a human instead of a moon elf like I usually play then I won't be screwed." Sam came up behind me and started shuffling through my papers.

"This is really damn efficient. I'm don't think I ever would've done this on my own."

"Which explains why you chose the water issue in the first run of the game." I spun around in the chair to face Sam. "Don't you know that 75% of the human body is made up of water? And even though it's a fictional world there's still water everywhere? Your character was partially terrified of himself."

"You really take this seriously don't you?"

"Well when I was in high school I used to play with a few friends and people used to judge us pretty harsh for being nerds so I decided if people were gonna call me out for it I might as well make it worth my while." I turned back towards my desk and kept looking through the pages for the booklet I had gotten one character development.

"So why are we coming into the office for a full day so you can make a perfect character?" He asked as he went back to his own computer.

"When you say it like that it sounds really bad." I said as I put all the papers down and looked over at him. "If you want I can just grab this folder and we can take it back home? I can do this some other time."

"If we go home we're doing it so we can watch Netflix and nap. Not to do anything remotely related to work. So do what you have to do." He reached under his desk to the fridge and cracked open a Red Bull before putting it in front of me. "Take your time. I'm gonna go find DJ real quick to talk about something." With that he left the room.

I felt bad making Sam come in with me. We could've been doing a lot of other things and now we're here. Suddenly, my phone started buzzing from inside my bag. When I pulled it out I saw it was a call from my mom. Sighing I picked it up. "Hi mom."

"Hi honey. How have things been down there? I haven't heard from you in a few months."

"Things are fine mom. Is there a reason you're calling? I'm actually at work right now."

"Don't tell me you still have that ridiculous job at that You-something garbage. I told you if you needed a job to call me and I would set you up with your uncles company in San Diego." My mother never approved of my job. She thought this was a side thing that I did on weekend or when I got bored, but when she visited and saw my paycheck she wasn't so amused.

"Mom. This is the job I want and the job I intend to keep for as long as I can. I just got promoted too, but that doesn't seem to matter since I'm actually happy instead of working at some low life law office as a receptionist."

"Well I just thought you should have a solid job seeing as your niece and nephew keep asking where you are all the time. With a third one on the way you would think that you would have at least one by now."

"Those kids know what Skype is and I'm only in my early twenties. I just spoke to them last week for your information. Now why did you really call me?"

"It's something with your father. One of his old army buddies keeps coming by asking to see him and doesn't seem to listen when we tell him he's gone and not coming back. I think you met him once or twice so maybe you could help us along? We haven't seen you in a few years since my last visit."

"There's a reason for that. I'm not leaving my job so I can come help some random friend of my father's cope with a death that even I'm not over. Why did you think this was something that was a good idea? Do you realize that my father was the most important person in my life and now he's gone and you think everything gets miraculously better? Well I hate to break it to you, but ever since dad died you haven't exactly been the mother you claim to be. So no I'm not gonna visit. And you can expect that the next time you call this number, it won't be mine."

And I hung up.