Chapter 22 : Mr. Heady

Start from the beginning

''No!'' Brooke shouts, grabbing my hands and making me jump up in fright. ''Do not, for whatever reason you might have, touch your face, or, God forbid, rub it. You're going to ruin all my hard work!'' Brooke gushes.

This time I finally have the privilege to roll my eyes at her. ''Glad to know the make-up is more important to you than my well-being,'' I say sarcastically.

Brooke grins sheepishly back at me with her teeth in full display. ''You know I'm just joking,'' she sing-songs ''Well, I'm serious about that part of you not touching your face,'' she jokes, but gets serious instantly. ''But being nervous about this event is pointless. Your relationship with Braden then was different than it is now. He didn't realise that he loved you back then. But now? God, Rory, he worships the floor you walk on. He'd do anything to protect you and I doubt he'd let you out of his sight.''

I sigh deeply, thinking about her words in my head. ''I guess you could be right ...'' I murmur absently.

Brooke tsks and shakes her head, crossing her arms in front of her chest. ''I am right, no doubt about it. And about that Victoria bitch, she shouldn't cross your mind at all. She's just trying to come between us. I doubt that child is Braden's, to be honest. She spreads her legs for whoever looks twice her way and it wouldn't surprise me that she was cheating on Braden a long time before we found out about Antonio. I doubt he was the first one she cheated on with.''

This conversation is saddening me. It's hard to listen about someone hurting Braden on purpose. My kind, beautiful and loving Braden. I hate every person that did him wrong. But I hate Victoria on a whole new level of hatred. I literally despise what she did to him. ''You're completely right,'' I tell Brooke. ''I'm still scared of what it might come out if the tests show that Braden is, in fact, a father to her child.''

My chest burns just thinking about it. Braden reassured me that nothing would change between us, but that's not true. It'd definitely change everything and I fear that change.

Brooke squats down so her eyes are on the same level as mine and she can look me straight in the face. She puts her hands on mine, which are laying on my lap, and softly says, ''Rory, you can't change that fact. If the child is Braden's or it isn't, he'd never leave you. At least not again,'' Brooke mutters, still begrudgingly. I don't think she completely forgave him for what he did to me. ''He's going to do the right thing, but he's going to do it with you by his side.''

Brooke's words reassure me more than she probably realises. She's such a great friend to me, such a kind soul, I hate everyone that hurt her, too. I give her a soft smile. ''You're such a great person, Brooke. Someday, I swear you're going to find the one who'll see you for who you are and will worship every inch of you. He's going to thank the heavens every day to have you in their life.''

I see Brooke flush at my words and she lowers her head, laughing a bit uncomfortably. My eyebrows furrow. Since when is Brooke shy when she receives a compliment?

''I don't know where this came from, but thank you, Rory. You're an amazing person, too, and I'm happy my brother found you out in this harsh world.'' She looks at me from under her lashes.

I grin at her, really happy to hear that from her. I'm happy that I found such a good friend in my boyfriend's sister and I get along with her that well because I know how much Brooke means to Braden and vice versa. ''So, are you going to get me ready for tonight or do I have to wear jeans?'' I tease.

Brooke glares at me mockingly. ''Over my dead body,'' she threatens.

***

There's a knock on the door twenty minutes later.

''Shit,'' I curse while trying to strap my heels around my ankles. I have no idea how I'm going to survive in them the whole night, but Brooke kept insisting that I wear that and she can be very persuasive when she wants to.