8 // Breathe

I strolled through the forest, deserting Isaac and deserting everything I may have had with Derek. Running through the forest blindly, tears blurring out my vision, I finally leaned against a tree, wrapping my one arm around it as I cried out in pain. It wasn't physical pain, I hadn't felt physical pain in years. It was the pain that my emotional toll had on me. I counted up all the people I had lost.

Derek.

Mom.

Dad.

James.

I could continue on the list, but the rest of those names would be irrelevant to you. I sighed, sitting on the forest floor in defeat as I let the melody flow freely from my lungs.

I waited for him to stroll out in that beautiful leather jacket of his, but there was nothing. I grew worried, anxious, back to the way I felt before him. Panicking, I headed back to the house but found that he wasn't there. Sighing, I sat on the steps with my head in my hands. When I heard someone scuffle through the front door, I got my hopes up as my pulse quickened. When I looked up, I sighed just to see Isaac.

"Go away." I growled under a sniffle.

He ignored me, strolling over as he rested a hand tentatively on my shoulder. I flinched at his touch, but my control collapsed as I buried my head in his shoulder. I cried for a few moments, before leaning back from him. This was a mistake, I was only making things worse!

"I'm sorry." he said impulsively, moving hair from my face.

"Don't be." I smiled weakly.

"How could I not be? I suffered too, it was stupid."

"We're young, Isaac. Stupid is our middle name." I sighed.

"You're right."

I spun on my heel to see Derek at the top of the stairs, claws out and canines at full length. I took a deep, stuttered breath of hope. He was gone without another word, and then inches from my face.

"Derek, please." I cupped his face in my hands, rising from the steps as Isaac shifted awkwardly in his seat.

"Don't!" he growled, ripping away from me as he punched a hole in the wall. I shrieked a little bit out of fear. If he could destroy anything he wanted, who was to say that he couldn't do the same to me? I took a shallow step back, hesitating before resting a hand on his shoulder.

"Derek, we didn't actually kiss." I whispered. He grabbed my hand violently, turning around as he hissed into my face.

"You were going to. You were going to let him kiss you."

I looked in shame to the floor, letting my hand drop as I felt him shift back. He lifted my chin to look him in the eye, and added softly.

"The worst part is, I don't hate you for it."

This time I tore away, turning around to see Isaac gone. Why was everything with me always a triangle? First it was James and Derek, and now Derek and Isaac. I sighed, turning back to Derek. He saw the sadness in my eyes, but completely ignored it.

"Come on, we'll go back to my apartment. You need to rest for the funeral tomorrow." He whispered in my ear.

I nodded reluctantly.

So much for a new start in Beacon Hills.