Chapter 9

I laughed out loud, riding October once again, racing Cy, who had promised to not act like a wimp just as long as he didn't have to ride October. I knew he could pass me in a second with his speed; a speed I was starting to inherit. Seriously, my life just turned to weird to fast. But he didn't want to pass me, I could tell that. It was fun just running along beside each other. Then I heard a feint voice in the back of my head. 'Lela, Cyrus, Dylan is here.' We had been practicing this, the ability to talk to each other without speaking, most of all. And  I had finally mastered being able to block all my thoughts from everyone in the room except for one or a few people who I wanted to talk to. So, naturally, at first Cy and I ignored him, wanting more time to mess around. That was until Michel's voice appeared in our heads again, his tone very serious. 'That means now.'

  I slowed October back to a walk, and looked over at Cy. "You sure you don't want to get  on October with me? It's a hell of a walk back, considering you can't use speed around Dylan."

  "I'm sure," He replied, taking a step sideways, further away from October. "I 'll just speed until I get to the clearing, then stop and just sprint.

  I smiled. "Good plan. Should we go before Michel kills us, for good this time?" He gave me a look. "O.K, kills ME for good this time." It was so hard to forget that Jack wasn't a full blood, and therefor wasn't created, but born.

  "Good idea." He smirked at me and then began to speed.

  "Oh, no you don't!" I called after him, bringing October straight to a gallop. I pushed her until we actually caught up to Cy. That's weird... I thought he was speeding. 'Is this normal?' I asked him with my thoughts.

   He looked back at me, confused. 'Defiantly not. Your horse in too fast for her own good. To bad she can't do this.' And he took off as if his life depended on him getting back into the yard first. I laughed again, suddenly realizing that the only other time I've ever laughed this much in two days was... never. I smiled even brighter at the thought, and if it was possible, urged October even faster.

  The trees started to thin, making me have not many things left to jump over. But the less obstacles, the better. I was just starting to see a bit of light in front of me, when I also saw a fast-moving blur. No, that was impossible. Holy shit, I was on a HORSE. God knows it's impossible for mere horses to move as fast as vampires, especially half-bloods. But here it was, actually happening. And yet it was the most normal freakish thing I had learned so far. But that's all I had time to think about on that subject before I saw the exit. Aw, shit. I had forgotten how narrow it was. There was no way we would both get out without me trampling him. Talk about a bad first impression on Dylan. But then it hit me.

  Cy was beginning to slow, but I didn't. I went impossibly fast, not stopping for anything. We ran and ran, until the people on the other side of the path were visible. Of course, there was Michel. Nothing new there. Then there was the kid I could only think of that was Dylan. He wore black up and down, his pants and shirts intentionally ripped up. His hair was shorter than Cy's, but black none the less. And just like Cy's and mine, his fingernails were painted black. I couldn't believe that I could tell all of that from where I was standing. Or rather, riding. But I could, and could also see his murky brown eyes widening as he turned to see what was happening. But before anything drastic could happen, I did the impossible.

  What I would have guessed was five seconds before I would have contacted with Cy, I pushed my heels much harder down into the stirrups, keeping a lot of slack on the reins while still holding them tightly, put my head down in front of me, and shifted my body weight forward, lifting myself slightly out of the saddle. Then it happened. Just before Cy reached the last of the woods and onto the grass of the field, I jumped over him. Yup, you heard me right. This sturdy, tall appaloosa with a rider on top of her shorter than their obstacle, jumped over Cy. It was probably something you would see in a movie, and to top it all off, we jumped cleanly over him, October's hooves not even scraping the top of his head. Once we were over, I let her run for three more strides, then slowed her to a trot, turned around to face Cy, and stopped all together.

  He stared at me blankly, obviously flabbergasted. I smiled at him, looking down at his feet. He still wasn't out of the woods. "I win." I said, restraining myself from laughing yet again.

  Cy was silent  for a minute more before he cracked a smile and said, "Yes, yes you do."

  I dismounted form October and began to pet her sweaty figure. I could feel her sides heaving under my palm, and hear her long breaths as she regained her calmness. That didn't take long, though, with me standing right next to her. Then I heard clapping behind me. I spun around, still keeping a hand on October at all times.

  "Nice job, Lela!" Michel said, moving closer to me and outreaching his hand to pet October.

  "Yes, it has to have been the most impressive I've seen in years." Replied a deep, Spanish voice from behind me. I turned around, immediately meeting Dylan's dark eyes. And then time seemed to stand still. And not because I was in love with him, but it literally stood still for a moment, everything in my sight green, except for the black letters written across Dylan's stomach. They read one word that made my breath catch in my throat. In deadly letters read, SLAYER.

  And just like that, time sped up again, the world back to normal colors, no big bold letters written across anyone. At first I wanted to turn around and demand to know what just happened from Cy and Michel, but I knew better. If Dylan really was a slayer, and hadn't figured out yet that his best friend was a vampire, I couldn't just turn around and demand things a mere human wouldn't be able to answer. I also knew that if I stayed quiet for a beat longer, it would be awkward.

  "Thanks." I replied, smiling. He smiled back at me, and slid his left thumb into his pocket. But as soon as he did that, I heard a strange beeping noise. That was weird, I thought, as the beeping continued. Cy and Michel didn't seem to hear it. Then, completely out of nowhere, I could hear Dylan's thoughts. 'I bet she's just another harmless human like Cy and Michel, or maybe even a guardian angel, but it's best to make sure.'

  And his thoughts ended. Just like that. But I knew something I had to do. I completely vanished all vampire thoughts from my head, making absolutely sure to only focus on the angel part of me. I thought of white wings, the halo I might once get, and protection. Then his phone went off, and the beeping stopped.

  Dylan reached into his shredded pocket and grabbed out a Motorola Android. He took one quick glance at his phone, and then his smile widened. I didn't know if I should be relieved or scared. "Hey Lela?" He asked.

  "Yeah?" I replied, trying my hardest not to let fear creep into my voice.

 "Can I talk to you for a second? Alone?"

  I felt my whole body stiffen, and forced a pained grin. "Sure."

  He smiled at Cy and Michel, than began to walk in the direction of the big oak tree. I began to follow him, pulling October's reins behind me. But before we got far, I turned around. Cy's head was cocked in a curious fashion, his eyes narrowed. I couldn't help but push into his mind, which I could do even though his thoughts were blocked. 'I wonder what he wants to talk to her about. I mean, I didn't think Dylan was one to ask out a pretty girl before he even knew her...'

  I pulled out of his thoughts and looked at Michel. His face was set, his eyes practically slits, his arms crossed over his chest. Although it was harder to push into his mind, I did. 'I knew I should have told Cy about Dylan's fate to be a slayer when they were six. Thank god he had had enough human from his mothers side to get past Dylan's stupid tracker, not to mention it was hell for me to find a way for that thing to say I was human, but what if it said Lela was vampire because there no vampire-angel setting? If he hurts her...'

  I turned back around and frowned, the worry practically bubbling out of my eyes. I could just make out a sharp silver point sticking out of his jet black backpack.

   Hope you love this chapter! I like leaving people in suspense... if you couldn't already tell. But I am already working on chapter 10! I really hope you like it enough to read on! Don't forget to vote and or comment!