0.6

I wake with a start, my eyes widening at the unfamiliar room. Darkness consumes it as I quickly reach for the side lamp and turn it on, Illuminating the walls. I almost forgot that I've been adopted.

Adopted.

That word just doesn't sound right in my case.

A frustrated sigh escapes my lips as I rub my face. I haven't been able to go a week without a nightmare since my families death, and lately it's been a nightly occurrence.

It sucks.

I slowly pull the covers off me and look at the clock on the side table. 05:47 in the morning. Of course, I can't sleep in yet again. Sleeping is actually something I enjoy since no one can bother me.

However, once I wake up, I cannot fall back asleep.

Instead of laying there, staring at the plain ceiling, I decide to venture out onto the little spot Luke showed me. That way I can watch the sunrise which is something I used to let myself do in the orphanage.

I quietly unplug my iPod from its charger and tip toe over to the window. To be completely honest, I'm probably being way too careful. Luke's room may be right next to this one, but he's probably so fast asleep that not even a hurricane could wake him.

You know boys.

My fingertips slide the window up, the fresh morning air greeting my face as well as some sunshine. The sun rise has probably just started-

"You're awake?" A voice asks, startling me so much that I pretty much fall down the slanted roof.

Luckily, I catch myself just before I reach the bottom and stare at Luke. Why is he already wearing his school uniform? Wouldn't his school start at like 09:30 or something?

"Couldn't sleep so I decided to watch the sunrise," he explains quietly, already looking embarrassed.

That's basically the exact same thing I was doing...

Perhaps he is the boy version of me... Just with a much brighter future.

I shrug my shoulders and sit down across from him, just as we did last night. It seems that no matter how much I try, I keep finding myself in these situation with Luke.

Situations that allow me to talk to him.

And for some reason, I'm okay with it... Even when I tell myself not to be.

I mean, he did kind of annoy me last night.

"I've got to leave for school at eight," he sighs, stretching his arms in the air,b"I have a feeling today is gonna suck... But I get tomorrow off,"

I nod, not completely understanding why he would get tomorrow off. Last time I checked, he had at least a week left of school... And tomorrow is still a weekday.

"I think you know this but it's finals week and tomorrow is just my study hall period. It's open campus," he explains, probably seeing my confused face.

Wait.

I look down at my clothes, a bright blush staining my cheeks. I'm legit just wearing junky old shorts that are tiny along with a gigantic greyish tee shirt... It probably looks like I'm not even wearing shorts!