Passage of The Silver Chair

- I've been reading the Narnia series, and I'm currently on the 6th of 7th book. I've got three chapters until I finish. This book is called "The Silver Chair" and I love it, as I did the others. This one passage in the book spoken by the character of Puddlegum in the thirteenth chapter reminded me so much of Terabithia and the requirements of why it's important to believe and how to do so. So I thought I'd share it with you guys here. -

Passage of The Silver Chair

"One word. All you've been saying is quite right, I shouldn't wonder. I'm a chap who always liked to know the worst and then put the best face I can on it. So I won't deny any of what you said. But there's one thing more to be said, even so. Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all those things--trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones. Suppose this black pit of a kingdom of yours is the only real world. Well, it strikes me as a pretty poor one. And that's a funny thing, when you come to think of it. We're just babies making up a game, if you're right. But four babies playing a game can make a play-world which licks your real world hollow. That's why I'm going to stand by the play-world. I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live like a Narnian as I can even if ther isn't any Narnia. So, thanking you kindly for our supper, if these two gentlemen and young lady are ready, we're leaving your court at once and setting out into the dark to spend our lives looking for the Overland. Not that our lives will be very long, I should think; but that's small loss if the world's as dull a place as you say."
------------------------------------------------------
So that is the passage stated by the character of Puddlegum. It reminds me that whether Terabithia is real or not, I stand by it because it's a great deal better than the real world. Like the Underland Puddlegum was talking about in The Silver Chair, real doesn't matter as much as better does. If the fake world is more satisfying, I stand by it. There are no bullies in Terabithia. There are no abusive parents in Terabithia. There are no problems in Terabithia like there are in the real world. And sometimes you need an escape from what's real by living in what's fake, or should I say imaginary and lovely. Sometimes real isn't always better. So I stand by Terabithia even if there isn't a Terabithia. I stand by our kingdom even if there isn't any kingdom. I stand by the enchanted rope even if it isn't really enchanted. I stand by our royalty even if we aren't really royalty. Narnia really taught me something tonight. That sometimes real isn't always better. I know that now. I always did, actually. Old Leslie did. I used to know that, and I guess I just needed a little reminder. Thank you.