Chapter One

"You're late, Mr. Del Ramos!"

Everyone turned their heads to the classroom door and I was not able to hold myself from giving Valentine a mocking smile when our eyes met. He was tiptoeing to his seat, but sneaking behind Miss Lopez, our English teacher, was a feat harder than climbing Mount Everest.

For a fleeting moment, Valentine furrowed his brows, but it was gone the instant he turned to our teacher who was busy scribbling on the blackboard. "I'm sorry, Ma'am. It's just that I encountered a pregnant woman on the way needing help to get to the hospital. On the way out of the hospital, an old woman fell and a kid was lost and nearly got run over by a car. Then, I rescued a cat from—"

"Okay, you can stop now Mr. Del Ramos. Listening to you makes me want to donate all my organs."

"Please don't do that, Ma'am, you'd make me unable to sleep at night." Valentine cutely blinked his gray eyes, which caused laughter from our classmates.

Miss Lopez deeply sighed before pausing from what she was writing and waved her hand toward Valentine's designated seat. "Please proceed to your seat, Mr. Del Ramos, before I mark you absent."

"Just saying." Valentine shrugged and ran his fingers through his hair, causing many of our female classmates to giggle. I rolled my eyes and shook my head.

"Attention-seeker," I whispered when he passed by me.

"Witch," he retorted, jumping over my outstretched leg that was ready to trip him. I screamed out due to my frustration, bringing everyone's attention to myself.

"What's the matter, Miss Symonds?"

"N-nothing, Miss Lopez." My whole face burned with embarrassment, while Valentine stuck his tongue out and continued toward his seat as if nothing happened.

Just wait you jerk, I will make you pay for this!

Maybe it was jealousy, but from the very day I arrived at their home, Valentine had been treating me like his mortal enemy. It was strange because I had done nothing to make him hate me, we just met for the first time two months ago for God's sake!

* * *

"Hey, Jennelle, would like to join us for lunch in the canteen?"

I pushed my long bangs aside and looked up to the girl beside me who had the same over the shoulder hair as me. "Thanks for the invitation, but no thanks."

"Maya, let's go na!"

Maya turned to the three girls at the doorway before looking back at me, dejected. "Well, I'll be on my way."

I nodded and gave her a reserved smile.

I had my head down collecting my things when I noticed someone stood in Maya's place. I didn't need to look up in order to know who he was or why he was there.

"Don't you know how to socialize at all? She asked you politely, yet..."

"I politely turned her down." I looked straight at Valentine's disapproving eyes. "Unlike you, I have no interest in kissing up to everyone."

"It's called making friends."

"Well then. I don't have plans on making friends. So, leave me alone!" I reached for my bag and slung it around my shoulders. Clenching my fist, I pushed Valentine aside and walked away.

That's right, I don't need anyone. I learned that after losing my parents nine years ago.

We were on the way back to the Philippines after spending our vacation in the US, when the plane we were on crash-landed. I was one of the survivors but in a critical condition, when I woke up, everyone lied to me to give me a bigger chance of survival. During my one and a half month stay in the hospital, the nurses, the doctors, and my relatives who regularly visited me all told me that both of my parents were in the same condition as I was and that I will see them again once I was released.