Chapter Three

I can't help smiling at myself when I caught my own reflection on the glass wall of the film store on the way the restaurant. The one-inch-heeled sandals perfectly matched the simple baby blue dress with thin spaghetti straps, a low enough neckline to show a bit of my cleavage, and asymmetric hem to show off my legs.

Tita Emilee paused from chatting happily and met my eyes in the glass reflection with a content and proud look on her face. "With this, I'm sure that Val would be eating his words," she said following it with a hearty laugh that warmed my heart.

When we reached the restaurant, we found the impatient Valentine standing outside. He didn't have a chance to throw me a glance when his mother walked up to him.

"What are you doing out here?" Tita Emilee asked.

"Well you took so long to arrive that I was starting to get embarrassed just sitting there without giving any order. I have a feeling that all the workers inside are talking about me."

Tita Emilee gave a half-guilty laugh. "We lost track of the time while looking at the dresses for Jennelle. She's gorgeous in most of the dresses, it was hard to choose just a few."

"Hah..." Valentine said, beginning a laugh, which was cut short when he turned to look at me. And just as I thought he would, he did give me a second look!

Yes! I exclaimed, secretly celebrating my triumph over Valentine, but when he stayed in his spot gaping at me, my heart suddenly pounded hard against my chest. I wanted so much to shout at him to stop staring but my lips remained tightly zipped. As the seconds ticked away, the more I was unable to say anything. With my face burning up, I looked away from Valentine. Strange. I was nervous.

And happy.

I don't know how many minutes passed, but I was sure that it would have taken even longer before Valentine and I would make any move if Tita Emilee didn't clear her throat to get our attention. When we both turned to her, Tita Emilee smiled at me and waved her hand to Valentine, who immediately walked into the restaurant. He nearly ran over the waiter who approached us.

Tita Emilee slightly tiptoed and whispered to me. "Didn't I tell you? Look at him. He's so stunned, he himself can't believe it."

I glanced at Valentine who was then seated by the round table on the corner of the restaurant, frowning problematically. When I looked back to Tita Emilee, we both giggled.

I smiled at her. "Thanks, Tita."

"You're most welcome hija. Even if he's my son, I didn't like hearing him make fun of your looks. And..." She sweetly smiled and reached out for my cheeks. "I'm just doing what any mother would want for their daughter."

Despite the happiness that I felt, a familiar pain ran through my heart upon hearing her words that suddenly reminded me of the reasons why I was doing my best to distance myself from my relatives.

* * *

The meal at the restaurant went without a hitch, thanks to Tita Emilee who was the only one that kept the lively atmosphere, which Valentine and I kept dragging down on a tense level.

He was glancing in my direction way too many times, while I secretly fret about the alien feeling inside me.

On the way home, I took a quick look at Tita Emilee who happily sat beside me in the backseat of the car. It was the first time that my guardian behaved so parent-like to me despite my reservations, which was why I could feel the panic rising from inside me, I worried that I might get used to it. In the end, when they finally decided to pass me onto another family, I'd be the one who'd get hurt.