Chapter Eight - Hasty Departures

Magsimula sa umpisa

“I dinna understand, Gabriel,” she said softly.

“I know you do not, gel, but it is true, nevertheless. He will have to discover why for himself, and you will have to wait.”

“But…” Aelswyn stammered and then stopped. She knew that Gabriel wouldna tell her more, no matter how much she begged him to. Instead, she looked down at the tree line, seeing nothing in particular.

“Child, your concern is to find your power again. You will need to learn to maintain your strength and skill in the face of much stress. You will need to renew your faith in order to complete the task set before you.”

“How do I do that?”

“That is for you to discover, Aely. You have never faced adversity before. You will need to find your way, but do not fear that I will abandon you. I will be with you.  You must help yourself the same way you do others. Think about that.”

“But, what do I do now, Gabriel?” She wiped fresh tears from her eyes, sniffling into her sleeve. Hafoc chose that moment to take flight, and she felt his absence keenly the moment he did. “I dinna know how to come back from here.”

“I will help you, as you helped Olaf in the Solar, but only this once.” Gabriel sent peace and joy her way, and Aelswyn immediately felt power return to her. She drank it in fully and felt her equilibrium return. Joy resurfaced and the problems she had sobbed for, seemed suddenly miniscule. There was a higher reason and purpose to her life again, and she breathed in deeply, enjoying the slight bite to the air. Turning to Gabriel, she smiled gratefully.

Spreading her arms wide, she danced about the rooftop, singing to herself happily. Gabriel let her for a few moments before speaking again. This time, his warning penetrated her mind, and she understood what she must do.

“You must do this for yourself every day, child, until you no longer have to try. You must be able to bring yourself to this state of joy, even in the darkest of times. It will not be easy, and I will only be able to advise you. Your training is complete.”

“Aye, Gabriel, thank ye.” A small smile played upon her lips.

“Now, your feast awaits and your husband awakes. Get to the Great Hall and do your duty.”

“Aye, Gabriel,” she said and picking up her skirts, she sprinted away, a new kick in her step.

Gabriel just smiled and shook his head.

#######

He was floating on breathless sensation. She stood there, beautiful in all her finery. Her velvet gloves tickled the skin of his cheek as she cupped his face. Looking into her eyes, he was captivated. He was filled with a deep, mesmerizing longing to touch her plump ruby lips with his own. They parted as if begging him to take them. They were dancing on a cloud, and he pulled her closer, determined to reach his goal. Her soft laughter was the music they moved to.