Four

Four

Yesterday, Mrs. Bradey, my drama teacher, gave us an assignment where we had to write our own script with our partner. Today she's picking out the partners. We've only read parts from other scripts at our desks or on the small, makeshift stage in the large classroom. Despite having worked with others before, I'm a bit nervous at who she will pick to be my partner.

Even though I should instantly click with people in this class due to the shared love of scripts, I haven't. Maybe I've been too occupied with what's going on at home to make much of an effort. Or maybe I'm afraid to make new friends. New friends ask more questions than old friends who are familiar with my many excuses when it comes to inviting them over to my house. Since I'm nervous about having a partner that I will have to work with for the rest of the semester (which is really just two months), of course I'm the last one to be paired up.

"Hailey George and...Jake Ockler," Mrs. Bradey finally says.

I let out a sigh of relief and glance over at Jake. Jake seems like a nice enough guy and I'd had to recite lines with him before. I don't really know him well, though, except that he's a major drama geek, friendly, and sort of shy, in a reserved way. I've always thought he was kinda cute. Jake looks up and smiles at me. His freckled arms are stretched out on his desk, long fingers entwined. His short brown hair is sticking up as if he'd just gotten out of bed.

Grabbing my books and backpack, I made my way over to sit beside him. "Hey," I greet.

He nods. "Hi."

We turn our attention back to Mrs. Bradey as she reminds us of our assignment and of the due date, even though we already have printed copies of all that. I guess it's good that she's being thorough. As soon as she's finished talking, I turn to Jake. He has his copy of the assignment laid out in front of him. His eyes are on the printed text until he suddenly looks up, his blue-gray eyes meeting my dark green ones.

"So, any ideas?" he asks.

I shake my head and his body visibly relaxes.

"Good, me too. We'll think of something, though. Do you want to do something old or something modern?"

"I like modern," I reply. This is one reason that I probably don't hang out with the drama geeks, too—most of them are obsessed with the old plays like Shakespeare but those kind of plays have never interested me. I like modern plays and television and movie scripts.

He nods. "Okay. I like modern, too. Besides, I think we'll stand out more. I bet we'll have two modern Romeo and Juilett's so let's steer clear of that."

I laugh. "I'm not a huge fan of R and J anyway," I admit.

He pretends to look shocked, then grins and puts a finger to his lips. "Shhh. You'll be forced to walk off the plank if anyone hears you."

I smile. It feels like this partnership is actually going to work well. It might even end up being fun.

"Okay, so, when and where do you want to meet to start working on this?" he asks. There's only five more minutes left until the next class.

"Um." I think for a moment. Inviting him over to my house isn't an option, but I'm also not sure I want to go to his place. It just feels weird. Everyone else will be meeting after school or at the mall. "How about Franklin Park? I mean, if it's not too far away?"

He nods. "Sure. It's not. I know where it's at. Sounds good. Meet me there after school?"

I nod back as I begin stuffing my books into my bag. "Yeah, I guess I'll see you around three-thirty? I've got to make sure my siblings get home first."