Chapter 20 - Emily

Start from the beginning

I head downstairs to the lobby and in my car, setting off to drive to the address Dad texted me earlier. A small part of me had hoped to get it from Jaxon himself after having been away from him for the better part of two weeks but he'd beaten me to that chance. It only proved how adamant he was about staying away from me and I'd almost believed he genuinely wanted to but the way he'd stared me down yesterday, like he wanted nothing more than to claim me right then and there, confirmed that he was struggling with this distance as much as I was. I had a fairly good idea of what my feelings were but the real question was, did he?

My change in attitude was a sad failure because I ended up dwelling about Jaxon the entire drive. It was so maddening, I'd nearly pulled over just to text him and see if he arrived safely. Of course, I could've asked my dad but damn it, I really miss him. Why in the hell did I agree to having sex with him? But that's not the real issue and I know it. I know I would've fell for him just as easily and just as fast even without sex in the picture. He was a dark and flawed man but I wanted to help him be better and help him carry his demons for reasons I couldn't understand. I just wanted him. He was a pain in the ass but I admittedly wanted him to be my pain in the ass. If I had any chance of getting through to him, he needed to realize that I was around for the long-haul. Assuming he wanted me just as bad as I wanted him. God, it's pathetic how badly I'm clinging on to the hope that there's even a sliver of a chance of him loving me.

I pull up in the driveway of the small house. It looked to be a one bedroom house, possibly having a guest room. The neighbourhood was interesting. Not exactly the kind of area I'd find myself in but I knew Jaxon was struggling to meet ends and given the kind of man he is, I had no doubts a lot of his dedication is put towards getting Lizzie to a safer area. Still, it's admirable how well he's managing as a single father. I know a lot of guys my age who can't even work a stove without needing help and here Jaxon was, raising a daughter as a single parent when his own weren't anywhere near proper role models from what I know. I'm once again taken back by his fierce will to get through any obstacle in life and the evidence of what a strong man he is. Fuck his flaws. He's imperfectly perfect to me.

Clearing my mind of all things Jaxon, yet again, I will myself to dedicate my entire self to Lizzie. Today was about her. I get out of my car and up the small set of stairs that lead to the front door. Knocking, it's a matter of seconds before the door swings open in answer. I'm greeted by an older woman, faint laugh lines and wrinkles surrounding her mouth and eyes. Her hair is a dark shade of brown and the few streaks of silver are barely noticeable. She's a beautiful woman and she looks kind enough that I immediately greet her with a smile she doesn't hesitate to return.

"You must be Emily." Her eyes twinkle knowingly and I wonder what that's all about.

"You must be the sitter." I stick my hand out but am taken back when she pushes it away to envelope me in a warm hug. I pause for the slightest moment but overcome my surprise and return the gesture. She has a very motherly vibe and I already love her.

"Call me Greta." She says warmly.

"That's a lovely name." I tell her as she leads me inside.

"You're as sweet as I've heard about." She gives my cheek a slight pinch and I laugh, somehow feeling like I'm a little kid all over again.

"I hope Lizzie has told you good things." I feign being stern.

"Oh, the best. But it's Jaxon who's always going on about you." She winks and I can't help but notice she looks almost gleeful. Meanwhile, my heart lurches into my throat and I'm finding it hard to breathe.

"Really?" I squeak.

"Really." She laughs. "I've never seen that boy act this way about a girl."