Chim: I'm Yours [OneShot FanFic]

Kimberley placed a steaming mug of tea on the table next to a sleeping Cheryl, walked around the plush king-sized hotel bed and climbed in as gently as possible. Leaning back against the pillows, she picked up her own mug and turned her head, watching Cheryl sleep. She loved watching her sleeping; Cheryl never looked more peaceful or happy lately, and Kimberley preferred this to the haunted, dejected look in Cheryl’s waking eyes these days. 

It had been a little over three months now since Cheryl had been fighting for her life in hospital, and Kimberley was tired. Since then, every night they spent together, she couldn’t sleep a wink; after spending so long sat by her hospital bed, grateful for each hour that passed with Cheryl still breathing beside her, the worry, that desperate fear still hadn’t left her. Most of their night’s together Kimberley spent lay awake watching her chest rise and fall as she slept, so desperately tired but unable to fall asleep for longer than a few minutes at a time. 

The worst thing was Cheryl’s refusal to go anywhere near the subject in conversation. Kimberley had tried countless times to guide her towards talking about it, because she knew Cheryl needed to; she just wouldn’t. Cheryl’s eyes had lost their light and Kimberley knew she wouldn’t get her girl back, really get her back until she was willing to talk about it. And who better than me, she thought with some bitterness? They had always shared everything, even the silliest things, so why not this? Kimberley reached out, her fingers lightly brushing Cheryl’s hair from her eyes.

A few minutes later Cheryl stirred. She stretched her arms high above her head with a sleepy grunt before her eyes fluttered open. She rested her gaze on Kimberley and smiled. Rubbing her eyes with a fist she said, ‘Got one of those for me?’

Kimberley pursed her lips and pointed to Cheryl’s beside table. Cheryl sat up and leaned in to kiss her cheek in thanks before reaching for her mug of tea. 

‘How are you feeling today babe?’

Cheryl shrugged. ‘Fine.’ She glanced at Kimberley as she took a sip of tea, to see Kimberley scrutinizing her closely, her forehead creased in a worried frown. Cheryl felt a pang of anger; she was getting rather tired of Kimberley looking at her like this, as if she was about to break. 

‘Are you sure? You look a bit peaky…’

‘Kimberley I’ve only just woken up.’

‘But you’re sure you feel fine?’

Cheryl set her mug down. ‘Are you ever again going to let a morning pass without asking me that?’ she said, only half joking. Kimberley just raised her eyebrows. 

‘I feel fine.’ Cheryl emphasised each word grudgingly. Kimberley went back to her tea, but Cheryl remained on her guard; if the last week with Kimberley was anything to go by, more was coming. 

A minute or two passed in silence before Kimberley set down her mug and turned in the bed to face Cheryl. 

‘Are you ever gonna talk about it or are you gonna bottle it up forever?’

Cheryl froze for a second before slamming down her cup and folding her arms like a sulking child. ‘Leave it alone Kimba. I don’t want to.’

‘But I think you need to babe. Deep down you know that you need to.’ Kimberley said quietly. Cheryl scowled at her before throwing back the covers and swinging her legs out of bed. 

‘And when did you become a bloody psychologist?’ she said, reaching for her purple silk dressing gown. 

‘I think you need to get it off your chest babe, but you’re afraid to. You don’t have to be afraid with me…’ Kimberley said, reaching for Cheryl’s arm. Cheryl shrugged her off and jumped up. She started striding around the room, picking up her discarded clothes off the floor from the night before and throwing them into a pile on the bed.