05 - Misunderstood

In the past hour, my hearing had escalated its sensitivity. Every tic of the clock seemed to sound louder than usual. I covered my ears and decided to ignore the endless clicks it made which constantly reminded me that the time of my death was near.

Mr. Butcher, thankfully, didn't make me the center of his attention though I wasacting rather differently today. Maybe that was the key to not be noticed by him, be different.

I glanced at the clock hanging on the wall just above the whiteboard and sank deeper into my seat.

Five minutes to twelve.

Can someone remind me how I got into this mess?

Scott still didn't know about this. I tried to contact him since last week and he didn't reply even once. My last resort to reach him was to contact their house which was clearly crossed out of the list before I could even think about it. Despite the facade that Scott pulled off at school, he was a mama's boy. Her mom wouldn't let him have a girlfriend because, I quote, "he's still my baby."

I jumped to my seat when the bell echoed inside the room making my classmates and Mr. Butcher look at me like I popped out of nowhere--which I was hoping I could do right now.

Smiling awkwardly, I took my bag and ran for the door just to be pulled by someone the moment I stepped out.

The next thing I knew, I was being dragged away by that one person I had been wanting to avoid since last week. I wanted to struggle from his grip but I didn't want to get unnecessary attention so I let him drag me wherever.

When we got out of the school building, my heart started to drum inside my chest. I tried to pull my hand from his grasp but his grip was tighter and stronger.

"Can you let go now?" I said, still struggling to get loose.

He didn't look back at me and it was probably because he didn't hear me or the more convincing reason, he chose to not hear me.

Having no choice, I kicked his ass hard, making him jerk forward. A victorious grin made its way to my face as Riley loosened his grip on me until he finally let go.

Little did I know that my grin was short-lived. When Riley looked over his shoulder at me, his brows were knotted and his eyes were shooting me daggers.

Taking a step back, I laughed awkwardly, "Ha ha ha. Did you see that guy who kicked you? He has some guts," I said pointing my thumb at nobody in particular, because nobody was there.

He turned and narrowed his eyes at me. But that, too, was short-lived because his scowl immediately broke into a smirk, "Really? The kick seemed too girly for me."

"Ha ha. Why do you think that?" I said, flapping my hand. "That's a hard blow."

His eyebrows raised in amusement and his smirk grew wider.

He one-stepped our distance, "Well, Munchkin, did you see his face?"

My face paled and I could feel sweats started to trickle down my temples, "Uh no. He ran so fast and I didn't get to see his face. But he was burly and bald and wore this blue colored sack over his body and orange sneakers with knee high socks," I blabbered.

His brows creased in confusion at what I had just blurted out. I wanted to smack myself. How would a crazy bald guy like the one I just said get into our school grounds? That was the worst excuse a sane person could think of. Ugh! Stupid!

Riley coughed and I looked at him. Well, he wasn't coughing all right? He was stifling his laughter. Squinting my eyes at him, he looked at me with amusement and offered me a crooked grin, "Let's go, maybe the burly bald man wearing a blue colored sack and orange sneakers is still out there. I don't want to get hit on the ass again," he said, winking at me.

I flushed and pressed my lips in a thin line, "Jerk."

"I've been called worse, munchkin," he said with a grin. "Now let's go."

"Can you stop calling me munchkin?" I said, trailing behind him.

"I swear, the next time you make me ride that bike, I swear to God I'm gonna kick your ass harder," I threatened, pointing at him, while I was bent down with a hand resting on my knee.

My eyes couldn't leave the green sight beneath me. I was feeling dizzy as shit and it was all thanks to this bastard standing in front of me. Riley must've gone way over the speed limit than the last time I rode with him. The wind hit my bare arms in a not so delicate manner which only meant we went too fast.