Chapter 12

Clara sat down at the small table with a sandwich in hand. The lunch hour started and she proceeded to her small table in the corner of the lunch room.

She watched the others as they sat with friends. She watched as they talked about mundane subjects. Bradely's Speech, their daily lives that had no part in the larger scheme of things.

Clara knew that their lives meant nothing. They meant nothing to the people like Bradley unless they were special. Unless they were like her and Kai. She knew that they were the ones they were interested in. The people who were different.

And that girl. Kai's friend, Eloise. She was different like them. Though she grew up with her strict parents, she was different.

Other than a smal list of people, there was no one else like them. She knew they were alone. And they were always being watched.

Clara took a bite out of the sandwich her son surprised her with this morning. It was a simple peanut butter and jelly sandwich, nothing that could really fill her up for the next half of the day, but she loved it all the same.

She looked at it and smiled. Only Louis could fuck up a sandwich this bad. She took out another bite of the lopsided, crushed sandwich.

"Excuse me? Clarissa Thompson?"

Clara turned to the voice behind her, only to find a woman who looked to be about the same age as her. She had to be German. Her hair was very blonde and her eyes were about as blue as the sky. That's what Louis said German women looked like. Blonde hair and blue eyes.

"Yes? How can I help you?"

The woman smiled and sat down in the chair across from her. "I heard that you have a son, and that you're a single parent. Am I right?"

Clara, now on high alert, gently put her sandwich down and took a look at the girl. She'd never seen her before, and she didn't know if she worked in the Conception offices with her.

She could be a Watchman, Clara told herself. But I haven't done anything wrong. Then again, neither did Louis, and now God knows where he is.

She took a deep breath and nodded. "Yes that's true."

The smile on the girl's face widened and she took a sigh of relief. "Your son is Kai, right?"

"Yes."

"Oh my. Thank you so much. My son's name is Hugo, and-"

"What do you want?" Clara hissed. "I don't know you and I don't care to answer you pointless questions. What do you want with my son? Do you want to take him from me? Or do you want me to be taken from him?"

The lady straightened up with the expression that one would have if they were slapped in the face. "No Clarissa. I...my son is like yours."

My son is like yours. Clara's heart jumped in her chest as she stared at the woman. She looked honest enough, but then how could she have found out about Kai?

Clearing her throat, Clara asked, "What do you mean?"

The woman sighed nervously and leaned closer into Clara. "My son is...different. Almost exactly like yours."

~

"So your son is exactly the same age as Kai?"

"Yes."

"He can do the same things as him?"

"Yes."

"And they go to the same school?"