Chapter 4

Five Years Later

Louis just celebrated his twenty-eighth birthday last week, and Aadila asked to save her some of the cake he had. 

Aadila and Louis. The two friends that went hand in hand ever since they were children. Their parents had always traded things with each other in the Free Market.

Aadila prided herself in the fact that she gave birth to Kai. Aadila considered the baby her son, and she his mother, though she wasn't the one who was able to raise him.

Louis paid her in his food and clothes rations for the nine months it took to carry around Kai. She wasn't all that happy to do this for Louis, but since they had been friends since before they could remember, she did it anyway.

During her pregnancy however, she had many complications such as slipping into comas for weeks, vomiting blood, and dying twice during childbirth. Louis was the one who revived her, simply by getting so frustrated that he punched her in her chest, somehow making her heart start up again.

She couldn't come back to Kitan with Louis and Clara, but he did bring Kai back to her every weekend. They would stay, and the woman and child would play together, as a mother and child would. But at the end of the weekend, Louis would have to take Kai back to Clara, leaving his friend alone in the busy place.

Aadila was among one of the people who ran the Free Market, and was often catorized with the Gypsies and the Roamers.

They were people who weren't watched over like the others were. They weren't under the same supressive laws as the others were, and as an effect of that, they lived in their own world. Many Americans and Arabian people were there, and those whose families did not want to be apart of the new society. They started the Free Market, which traded many micelaneous and illegal things such as books, journals, old pens, and prostitution.

She was one of the people of Arab decent, though she did not know exactly which country her family hailed from. It didn't matter to her. She was happy to be alive.

He was walking towards the Free Market with a bag of cake in one hand, and an excited Kai in the other.

"Lou! We're really going to the Fr-"

"Kai hush," he ordered. "We aren't going anywhere."

"But you said-"

"I said nothing."

The little five year old huffed and crossed his arms. He did not know it was illegal for people of Kitan to visit the Gypsies in the Free Market. Though he did not know many things about the world cruel he lived in.

"Put me down." Kai barked. But Louis knew better han to do that. He did it before, and the boy nearly jumped to the moon.

Just as he and Clara thought, the boy was extraodrinary.

He was strong enough to pick up Louis, which he did to annoy him nearly everyday, and he was able to jump, really high and really fast, and sometimes it even looked like he was flying. And there was one more thing about Kai, he was rebellious. Even at five years old, he was very much like Louis. He did not care for the rules and regulations of everyday life in Kitan. But unlike Louis, he did not know how to control it.

That's why he needed to keep him in his arms and away from Watchmen and Listeners. But it was possible that he would blurt something out, or do something stupid to get them both hanged.

Once in the Free Market, Louis told the child why they were here, and who they were going to see. However he was not as excited as Louis thought he would be. He looked more scared than anything. When asked what was wrong, Kai just held back tears and hugged his uncle.