****

****

"Oye...oye..tapri...itni speed se kahan jaa rahi ho... crash landing ho jayegi." That's what he always did..tease the poor girl.

"Tumhare paas parachute hai kya?" came her instant reply.

"Nahi, kyun?"

"I thought tum mujhe rescue karne aye ho.... Par ab lagta hai yeh tumhara usual agenda less bakwas hai.. So whats new today?"

"Watch out, there's a surprise...FOR YOU" The moment he uttered it, her face lit up.

That's how it had always been between them. He teasing her and she retorting back. Anybody who saw them would think they were the worst of enemies but in Manik's secret world, this was just a way, perhaps the only way of showing affection. He liked teasing her, something he did only with her. The mock anger on her face, the cheeks gone red, the hint of annoyance on her raised eyebrows, her cute little sniffing nose, he absolutely loved it. And somewhere he felt she understood his language for she too reciprocated in a way that she didn't for anyone else. She hardly ever replied to harsh comments, but with him, she had to match word by word, sarcasm by sarcasm, even silence by silence.

"Will wait...with baited breath.." She winked.

" She winked

****

She was there..right at at the front when he took position. It was the annual day of the school and theirs was the last performance of the night before the chairman's speech. He had told her to look out for this one and he would make sure it would really be worth it. After all he had spent 3 nights writing and composing this song...

The lights faded out as the spotlights fell on each of them. His fingers took to the strings, his voice to the mike and magic began.

I fell in love next to you

Burning fires in this room

It just fits, light and smooth

Like my feet in my shoes

Little one, lie with me

Sew you heart to my sleeve

We'll stay quiet underneath

Shooting stars if it helps you sleep

And hold me tight, don't let me breathe

Feeling like you won't believe

There's a firefly loose tonight

Better catch it before it burns this place down

And I lie if I don't feel so right

But the world looks better through your eyes

Teach my skin those new tricks

Warm me up with your lips

Heart to heart, melt me down

It's too cold in this town

Close your eyes, lean on me

Face to mouth, lips to cheek

Feeling numb in my feet

You're the one

To help me get to sleep

And hold me tight, don't let me breathe

Feeling like you won't believe

It's only been one night of love

And maybe that is not enough

Hold me tight, don't let me breathe

Feeling like you won't believe

There's a firefly loose tonight

Better catch it before it burns this place down

And I lie if I don't feel so right

But the world looks better through your eyes

In that auditorium, there were perhaps a 1000 odd people, but his eyes were hooked on to that one face which was beaming with unadulterated joy. He hoped, she understood that this was the closest he could go to confessing his love for her..and felt she did. For those few moments, which he wanted to stretch till eternity, no one or nothing mattered. The crowd melted away, leaving just the two of them, their hearts speaking in silence.