Part 4

'Where was she? It had been 3 days since the reopening of the school and 13 days to the day he had last met her but there was no sign of her.' Manik was wondering, as he stood bending over the railing in his balcony. He often came here, whenever he had a confession to make, a question to ask, a sorrow to share or he was simply tired. He came here, because underneath the endless starry sky, he found solace. He didn't have to put up a pretense here, he didn't have to wear a mask here, the mask of being strong, indifferent and rude. He could bare his soul here and not worry about being judged or being rejected.

The day they were announcing the results, and they declared her name as the topper for class XI science, he had been so happy and so proud of himself. For the first time ever, he had actually been able to be there for her. HE had actually held her hand through darkness. No, this wasn't the first time, but perhaps the only time she knew.

He was eagerly waiting to see her there, on the stage. He wanted to see her smile again, the same smile that had always managed to penetrate through his layers and knock right at the door of his heart, but was lost now. But she hadn't turned up. The announcer had moved on to the runner up after calling out her name thrice. He was least interested in going up there, and perhaps wouldn't have had his friends not pushed him.

Why wasn't she coming to school? Where was she, was she ok? So many times he had driven past her house and every time he had seen her lights switched off. He had made Dhruv call her, but both her landline and her mobile had been switched off.

He heard people gossip about her.. that she might have dropped out or left town or may be done something drastic. He wanted to smack their faces and throw them out but he feared what if they were right, what if she had indeed left. What if he would never see her again.

Or was it because of the way he had thrown her note on the last day of the exam. Was she punishing him? Punishing an already tormented soul? Why did she have to extend her hand again and again, why couldn't she just let him help her without getting attached? Why couldn't she understand that he was toxic for her, that all he could ever do was to bring her bad luck, pain and tears.

That's what he had done two months ago..and the memories tumbled out of the pandora's box.

************************

FLASHBACK :: TWO MONTHS AGO

"This song is different yaar, from our style, it sway too soft" Mukti exclaimed.

"So what, it doesn't always have to be the same style. Sometimes you need to shock your audience." he had replied, not looking directly into her eyes.

"Buddy you are right, and besides its awesome. How did you manage to write such beautiful lyrics" Dhruv was his most loyal friend, who never questioned his intentions, always supported him in anything and everything he did. No no.. He wasn't just a friend, he was his brother...brother from another mother. Sometimes Manik wished he had been born to Dhruv's mother because his own was the biggest curse of his life. He could do anything for Dhruv. Anything...

"Manik can do anything.. Don't you know he is a star.." Alya mockingly punched on his arm. She was unabashed in showing her affection for him openly, eventhough she knew Manik didn't reciprocate. He was an awesome friend but every time it came to take the next step, Manik just froze.

Cabir was watching the whole scene play. One look at him and Manik knew, nothing could escape his hawk eyes...not even the fact that he had written this song for her..Nandini...because the entire class knew she loved fireflies. They exchanged glances and even though Cabir wasn't too happy about it, Manik knew his secret was safe with him.