"I can't . . ." Padme protested, tears falling down her face.

"Padme," Ahsoka said, gesturing for the Senator to sit. "I know you and Anakin are married. I know that you are pregnant and he is the father. I know this is difficult. But he must be stopped. I'm so sorry."

"I—" Padme's voice cracked and she started sobbing.

Ahsoka stood up to leave. "I understand. But please understand this—Anakin cannot be allowed to train your children as users of the Dark Side of the Force. Please."

Ahsoka hated causing Padme pain. They had been friends for a long time now. She didn't want to hurt her. But it had to be done.

~

Ahsoka met up with Obi-Wan on a landing platform where Padme's Naboo Starship waited. They hid behind a few speeders. Padme was talking to her head of security.

"My Lady, let me come with you." Captain Typho insisted.

"There is no danger. The fighting is over . . . and this is personal." Padme explained.

Typho bowed, relenting. "As you wish, my Lady. But I strongly disagree."

"I'll be all right, Captain. This is something I must do myself. Besides, Threepio will look after me."

Typho walked back to his speeder and left. Padme stood still for a moment before turning and boarding her ship with Threepio. As the ramp closed, Obi-Wan and Ahsoka jumped on and climbed into the ship.

~

Ahsoka recognized the planet Mustafar outside the window of the compartment she and Obi-Wan were hiding in. Padme and See-Threepio navigated the ship through the planet's atmosphere and landed it on a landing platform—next to Anakin's starfighter.

After Padme had exited the ship and met up with Anakin who had come out to greet her, they waited. Neither Ahsoka nor Obi-Wan could hear what they were saying, but rather felt their emotions in the Force. After a few minutes, Obi-Wan told her the plan.

"I don't like the way their conversation is going. I'm afraid Anakin may hurt Padme. I will go out first and draw him away. Make sure that Padme is okay, and send her back to Coruscant before following us."

Ahsoka nodded. "Yes, Master."

Obi-Wan put his hand on Ahsoka's shoulder. "Don't call me that. Whatever happens today, the Jedi Order is finished. There are no Masters or Padawans anymore. There are only Jedi. There are only those who follow the Light Side of the Force."

Ahsoka sighed, lowering her head. "I know. But I'm not ready to embrace that reality. Not yet, Master."

Obi-Wan smiled. "All right."

Obi-Wan stood and exited the compartment. Ahsoka followed but stayed out of view as Obi-Wan revealed his presence. Now she could hear what was going on outside.

"Liar!" Anakin screamed, seeing Obi-Wan standing at the top of the ramp of Padme's ship.

"No!" Padme exclaimed.

"You're with him!" Anakin bellowed. "You've betrayed me! You brought him here to kill me!"

"No! Anakin, I swear, I—" Padme's voice cut off and Ahsoka felt the Dark Side's presence around her. Ahsoka prayed Obi-Wan would stop Anakin.

"Let her go, Anakin!" Obi-Wan demanded. When nothing happened, he repeated. "Let. Her. Go."

Thankfully, it worked. Ahsoka heard a faint thud and the Dark Side vanished from Padme's life force. Ahsoka could only hope that she was unconscious, and not more seriously injured.

"You turned her against me!" Anakin seethed.

"You have done that yourself." Obi-Wan stated.

"You will not take her from me!" Anakin shouted, his voice dark and filled with rage.

"Your anger and lust for power have already done that." Obi-Wan argued. "You have allowed this Dark Lord to twist your mind until now . . . until now you have become the very thing you swore to destroy."

Anakin scoffed. "Don't lecture me, Obi-Wan. I see through the lies of the Jedi. I do not fear the Dark Side as you do. I have brought peace, justice, freedom, and security to my new Empire."

"Your new Empire?" Obi-Wan demanded.

"Don't make me kill you."

"Anakin, my allegiance is to the Republic, to democracy!" Obi-Wan yelled.

"If you're not with me," Anakin began, "then you're my enemy."

"Only a Sith Lord deals in absolutes. I will do what I must."

Ahsoka heard a lightsaber ignite.

"You will try," Anakin replied.

Another lightsaber ignited, and the battle began.

Read, comment, vote!

music+literature