Chapter 2

Chapter 2

"Artoo, go back. I need you to stay with the ship," Anakin said as they started to head towards an elevator. Artoo had moved to follow them.

"Here, take this, and wait for orders," Obi-Wan told the droid.

"Stay out of sight, Artoo," Ahsoka added.

Artoo whistled a protest, but stayed put. The Jedi called for an elevator, and then waited. Ahsoka felt tense as she faced the hangar, on the lookout for droids. It was a good thing she was, because within a few moments, three droidekas rolled into the hangar and made straight for the Jedi.

Ahsoka ignited her green lightsaber without hesitation and began deflecting the bolts. Anakin whirled around and joined her. "Destroyers!" He announced for Obi-Wan, who began frantically pushing the button for the elevator. Master Kenobi activated his own lightsaber and together they deflected shots as the elevator arrived. As soon as it opened, they backed in, still defending themselves from the destroyers.

The doors slid shut and Ahsoka deactivated her lightsaber. For a moment, all three of them relaxed.

"Drop your weapons," a mechanized voice said behind them. "I said drop 'em."

"Roger, roger."

With barely a glance at the two mentors at her side, Ahsoka pulled out her lightsaber again and the three of them slashed through the battle droids like butter. Soon, all that was left was a heap of metal on the ground. Ahsoka put away her lightsaber and folded her arms, satisfied. Sparks burst from the severed wires that used to control the droids.

"That was easy," Ahsoka said, glancing around the elevator for any other surprises. She found none.

"Don't speak too soon," Obi-Wan advised.

Ahsoka regretted speaking because in the next second, the elevator screeched to a stop, making Ahsoka stumble.

Obi-Wan looked at her and Anakin. "Did you press the stop button?"

Ahsoka shook her head, "No."

"Did you?" Anakin asked.

"No!" Obi-Wan said, as if he couldn't imagine doing such a thing.

"Well," Anakin glanced up, "there's more than one way out of here." He ignited his blue lightsaber and stuck it into the ceiling. Ahsoka realized what he was doing and helped him, activating her own lightsaber.

"We don't want to get out, we want to get moving." Obi-Wan explained, but Ahsoka continued with her task. "Artoo, activate elevator 31174," Obi-Wan took out his comm to communicate with the astro droid. "Come in, Artoo. Artoo, do you copy? Artoo, activate the elevator number 31174. Activate the elevator number 31174. Artoo, we—"

A circular piece of the ceiling fell, crashing to the floor with a loud bang. A hole large enough for them to jump through had been cut into the ceiling. Anakin went through first, and Obi-Wan muttered, "always on the move."

Ahsoka smiled, "can you blame him?" Then she hopped up after her old Master.

They stood on top of the elevator, looking for a way to get to Chancellor Palpatine. Below, Ahsoka heard Obi-Wan speak into the comm, "Artoo, switch on the comlink. Artoo, can you hear me? Artoo?"

Suddenly, the elevator plummeted down the shaft, Obi-Wan's cries of alarm becoming fainter and fainter. Reacting quickly, Anakin jumped up and grabbed onto the entry door to another hallway. Ahsoka took a few more complicated jumps, jumping to the opposite side of the elevator shaft and then above the entry door, flattening herself to the wall and putting her feet on the top of the door to keep her from falling. Sparking wires showered over them, and Ahsoka struggled to keep her balance.